Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Grandparents


Today's posting is in remembrances of my grandparents. I only knew one of my four grandparents. All except Grandma Pearlie had died before I was born. 

James Francis "Jim" Purvis and Lucy Pearl "Pearlie" Deese were married about 1908 in Anson County, most likely in Morven. Jim & Pearly had 7 children; 4 girls and 3 boys. One daughter, Levina died at birth in 1910. The other 6 lived to adulthood and two of the daughters are living today.  
James Francis Purvis & Lucy Pearl Deese
 The photo above was probably taken when they were married in 1908.

Julius Johns and Mamie Catherine Brock were married on 16 June 1912 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
Julius & Mamie had 8 children, seven lived to adulthood. One boy b. 27 Dec 1923, died on 27 Jan 1924. The other 7 children were 5 boys and two girls one of which was my Mother. Only one of the eight children is living today.
Mamie Brock Johns with baby.


I had some wonderful times with my Grandma Pearlie even though I was very young.  If only we could go back and relive those days, how different they would be with the knowledge I now have of my ancestors.  Growing up, I never heard anyone speak of my grandparents, when I started asking question most of the family claimed no knowledge or very limited knowledge. After 36 years of research, I am still "Brick walled" at my great-great-grandfather William A. Purvis (b. 1824, d. after Sept 1899 & before May 1900) in Anson County, North Carolina.

No comments:

Post a Comment