Friday, June 15, 2012

Friend of Friends Friday - Purvis to Gray



Purvis to Gray[1]

Know all men by these presents that I, William H. H. Purvis in in consideration of four hundred dollars to me paid by Wesley Gray the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged have bargained sold and delivered and by these presents doth bargain sell - deliver to the said Gray one negro boy named Ellis (I'm not certain of this name due to faded writing) to have and to hold unto him the said Gray his heirs executors administrators & heirs (can't make out the word) forever and I  do covenant with the said Gray that I will warrant warrant (sic) the said negro boy sound in mind & body & soul (can't make out word) for life and I will defend the said boy against against (sic) the claims of of (sic) all persons.

In testimony whereof I have herewith set my hand & seal this seventeenth day of December, A.D. 1841.
                                                                                            SIGNED: Wm. H. H. Purvis                                                                                              (notation is made of his seal)

Filed and Recorded on the 7th day of December A.D. 1841
                                            Joseph Benett, Clerk
                                        By J. Langford, D. Clerk

[Source: Betty Eppes]
Transcribed from my notes taken from Book 6, Page 342:
Rankin County, Mississippi


[1] Rankin County, Mississippi, Rankin County Deed Books, Book 6, page 342, Purvis to Gray - Sale of negro boy named Ellis, 17 December 1841; Register of Deeds, Raymond, Rankin County, Mississippi.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment