Monday, October 1, 2012

Amanuensis Monday - Will of Joel Gulledge


Amanuensis Monday is a Web Blog theme started by blogger John Newmark. You can access his blog here.
 
A full explanation of the Amanuensis Monday blog theme can be found here.

Today's subject is the WILL of Joel Gulledge, born abt. 1797 in North Carolina and died abt 1884. He was married to Sarah Elizabeth Sellers and the family is enumerated in the 1850 Census for Chesterfield County, South Carolina1 . Joel was the son of the Rev. Joel Gulledge and Zilpha Huntley.

The Probate Records for Chesterfield County, South Carolina can be found on FamilySearch.org. Joel Gulledge's Probate folder is Number #04812 . His WILL is Image #257 of 1550 images. No recorded date of death was found within the probate file. Court appointed appraisers were approved on 26 September 1884 with a request to complete the appraisement not later than 10 October 1884. The appraisement was completed on 9 October 1884. The will reads as follows (transcribed by Charlie Purvis): 

State of South Carolina
          Chesterfield County August 19th 1880

In the name of God Amen,
                                      I Joel Gulledge of the County of Chesterfield, and State of South Carolina being in my right mind and memory do make this to be my last Will and Testament after all of my Just debts are paid I do Will and bequeath to my Daughter Susanna Gulledge all of my Real Estate and Personal property to have and to hold during [all] of her material life, after she pays to Elizabeth L. Catoe a Cow and Calf or the the worth of a Cow & Calf and to Phillip A. Gulledge I will and bequeath to him, Two dollars it being of his full shear <sic> of my Estate.
          I further Will that after the death of my Daughter Susanna Gulledge that all of my Estate both Real and Personal be sold and an Equal distribution of the proceeds made among my Children namely Jno. P. Gulledge's heirs & Elizabeth L. Catoe, Stephen H. Gulledge, Davis Gulledge and the heirs of Hampton Gulledge, these being of my own bodily heirs & I further appoint my Daughter Susanna Gulledge and Joel H. Catoe my Executors of my last Will and Testament.
          In witnefs whereoff <sic> I have here unto set my hand and seal done the day and date above written done in the presence of witnefs
                                                  Joel Gulledge {seal}
W. J. Gaddy
W. P. Gaddy
B. L. Gaddy




_______________________
[1] 1850 U. S. Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, population schedule, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Page 174B/175A, Line 42, Dwelling 1171, Family 1171, Household of Joel Gulledge; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 27 September 2012); citing National Archives Microfilm M432 Roll 851.
[2] Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Probate Files & Loose papers, Joel Gulledge; digital images, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org: viewed 27 September 2012); 0481, Will is image 257 of 1550.







No comments:

Post a Comment