Monday, February 3, 2014

Amanuensis Monday~George R. Boatwright Will

 

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of George R. Boatwright written in July 1888.1

GRBoatwright2GRBoatwright1

George R. Boatwright Will
The State of South Carolina
Chesterfield County
In the name of God Amen
I, George R. Boatwright of the County and State aforesaid being of sound mind and memory do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following. That is to say:
1st. It is my will and desire that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid.
2nd. I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth McBride three hundred and fifty dollars in addition to what I have already given to her and her heirs forever.
3rd. I give and bequeath to my daughter Lauretta Boatwright four hundred and fifty dollars in money. One bed and furniture and one cow and calf. I also give, devise and bequeath to my said daughter Lauretta, fifty-two acres of land to be laid off so as to include the Homestead.
4th. I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah C. Boatwright all the remainder of my land, and four hundred and fifty dollars in money and one cow and calf or the value of a cow and calf.
5th. I give and bequeath to my grandson Ervin Brock one hundred dollars, in addition to what I have already given him or his mother.
6th. It is my will and desire and I so direct that all the corn, fodder, and stock that I have at my death be sold and the proceeds of such sale be divided among my heirs at law, the child or children of any deceased child to take the share to which their parent would have been entitled to, if living.
7th. The residue of my property, of whatever kind, real and personal I give, bequeath and devise unto my son Drury L. Boatwright to him and his heirs forever.
8th. I hereby nominate, constitute and appoint my son Drury L. Boatwright Executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 10th day of July AD 1888.

Signed, Sealed and acknowledged
By the said George R. Boatwright as
and for his Last Will and Testament                                G. R. Boatwright
in our presence who at his request
in his presence and in the presence of
of each other have subscribed our names
as witness to the same.
W. J. Hanna
W. W. Hursey
E. G. King

George R. Boatwright was born 19 Jan 1819, a son of Lewis Boatwright and Elizabeth Rebecca Davis. He married Lauretta Hurst about 1852, Their first born Child Elizabeth was born in 1853.2 3 
Lauretta was the daughter of Isaac Hurst and Henrietta “Ritta” Rivers. She was born about 1831 and died 8 August 1863.4  

In the ten (10) short years they were married George and Lauretta had 6 children, 2 sons and 4 daughters. Their oldest son, Lewis died at age three; the remaining children all lived to adulthood, married and had families of their own. His daughter Harriett, aka Hennie, wife of Ervin Samuel Brock, Sr. also passed away before his demise. The exact date of her death has not been found. The surviving 3 daughters and son are named within the Last Will and Testament.  

George R. Boatwright died 9 April 1894 at the age of 75 having survived his wife passing 31 years past. He never remarried after the loss of his Lauretta.
 
George and I are 1st cousins 4 times removed.
 
____________________________
[1[ South Carolina, Probate Records and Loose Papers, 1732-1964; Chesterfield, SC; Probate Court, Estate records 1865-1927; Cases 0758-0829; Probate File #781, George R. BOATWRIGHT,  Image 743 & 744 of 1603; FHL Film #2166628; Folder #781, Images 742-760
[2] Find A Grave, Inc., Find A Grave, digital image, (http://www.findagrave.com : Accessed on 3 June 2012); Headstone for George R. Boatwright; (19 January 1819–9 April 1894); Records of the Hurst Family Cemetery; Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, USA.
[3] 1850 U S Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, population schedule, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Page 177B, Line 31, Dwelling 1214, Family 1214, Household of Lewis BOATWRIGHT; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 3 November 2011); citing National Archives Microfilm M432 Roll 851.
[4] 1850 U. S. Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, population schedule, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Page 174A, Line 20, Dwelling #1162, Family 1162, Household of Isaac HURST; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 29 August 2011); citing National Archives Microfilm M432 Roll 851.

No comments:

Post a Comment