Wednesday, March 26, 2014

52 Ancestors: #13, Luther William Johns


JOHNS, Luther in Uniform_P032
Luther William Johns, Sr. was born 11 April 1917 in Chesterfield, South Carolina, a son of Julius Johns and Mary Catherina “Mamie” Brock.  He had two older siblings and 4 younger siblings.1 2
In May 1937 his father was stuck and killed on Highway #9 near Chesterfield. One year, one month and one day later his Mother passed away while being cared for in the Doctor's Office. Their sudden death left 7 orphan children; the oldest age 25 and the youngest age 8. Luther was 21 when his Mother passed away.3 4  .
Shortly after the death of his parent Luther joined the Coast Artillery Corps or Army Mine Planter Service on 13 January 1941

Later in the war he became a paratrooper and was assigned to an Army-Airfield in North Western Nebraska. While stationed here, he met and married Jeanne Katherynne Sovereign on 6 August 1943 in Chadron, Dawes County, Nebraska. Luther and Jeanne had three children, two daughter and a son.

After the War, Luther found employment with the railroad and continued working with the railroad until his retirement. In 1954, Luther and Jeanne were divorced.

My Mom loved her brother Luther. In the late 1950’s Mom had not heard from Luther and became concerned. She wrote the local police in the City he was last known to live in and it wasn’t long until Mom received a letter from her brother.

Sometime between 1954 and 1960, Uncle Luther remarried to a lady named Viola Marie “Vie’ Wooldridge.

In January 1961, after completing basic training in the Air Force I was assigned to Chanute AFB, Rantoul, Illinois. I knew that Uncle Luther and his wife Vie were living in the Chicago area. It wasn’t long before I called them  and scheduled a visit with my Uncle and his wife. My last visit with them in the simmer of 1961 was the last time that I saw my Uncle.

In the late 1990’s I reconnected briefly with two of my cousins from this marriage. In 2000, after the loss of my wife in 1998, I decided to move back home to the Carolina's to help care for my Mother. I learned from my cousin that their Mom was living in Williamston, North Carolina. I visited with Aunt Jeanne in Williamston shortly after returning to North Carolina.

I have lost contact again with my cousins from this union. So if anyone out there reads this and recognizes names from this posting please contact me.

Luther William Johns died 9 August 1985. Viola Marie “Vie’ Wooldridge Johns died 22 December 1993 and Jeanne Katherynne Sovereign Johns Martindale died 19 February 2002. May they rest in Peace with their Savior.

Luther William Johns is my Uncle. 







________________
[1] U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, "BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010," [database on-line], Department of Veterans Affairs, U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs BIRLS Death File, 1850-2010 (http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=2441 : viewed 12 January 2012), Luther W. JOHNS.
[2] 1920 U. S. Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, population schedule, Court House, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, enumeration district (ED) 40, Page 16B/172B (stamped), Line 83, Dwelling 292, Family 300, Household of Julius JOHN; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://ancestry.com : viewed 20 January 2013); citing National Archives Microfilm T625_1690.
[3] FATAL HIGHWAY ACCIDENT - Julius Johns obituary, The Chesterfield Advertiser, Chesterfield, South Carolina, 20 May 1937.
[4] James C. Pigg, Chesterfield County Cemetery Survey; Chesterfield County Genealogical Services, 1995, page 842. Tombstone of Mamie Johns; 21 September 1889–17 June 1938, Zoar United Methodist Church Cemetery, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Army_Coast_Artillery_Corps

4 comments: