Thursday, March 20, 2014

Treasure Chest Thursday~Civil War Pension Application, Catherine J. Brock


Marriage dates prior to 1911 in the up country of South Carolina are almost none existent. To find a marriage date prior to 1911 in Chesterfield County is a real rarity. So the marriage date of James P. Brock and his wife Catherine Josephine Smith is a real gem. 

S12608802441aS12608802441b
   
                                                                                         Class No…………………………………..
STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA}
County of Chesterfield}                       HONOR ROLL
TO THE COUNTY PENSION BOARD:
The undersigned applies for enrollment under the Act of 1919. I am the Widow of Jas. P. Brock … who enlisted in Company I Regiment First of SC Artillery Battalion of …..Captain Charles Ouglesly on the 15 day of April 1864, and served in that command until the first day of March 1865, and was at that time a member of Company I, Regiment of First SC Artillery Battalion of …Captain Charles Ouglesby.
I was married to him the 2 day of September 1869. My husband did not desert the service of the Confederate States nor of this State. My husband died on 2 day of Febry 1919. My income from all sources does not exceed $500.00-does not exceed $1000.00. I am 66 years of age. I reside at B. A. Brocks in Chesterfield County, S.C. and have lived there since the First day of January 1910.
I have not been on the pension roll of South Carolina, nor any other State, nor of the United States. Sworn to and subscribed before me this 30..}
Day of Oct…..1919..}                                 Catherine X Brock {her mark}
D. F. Brock, Magst
Probate Judge

STATE OF SOUTH CAROLINA}
County of Chesterfield}
Personally appeared before me W. H. Teal & S. W. Brock who being duly sworn, each of them deposes and says they knew Catherine J. Brock who is an applicant for a pension, and they have read the said application; that they know of their own knowledge that her husband, named…James P. Brock, was a private in Company I Regiment of First SC Artillery, and that he rendered services as therein stated; that she had resided in this State … 66….years.
Day of Oct…..1919..}                |          W. H. Teal
D. F. Brock, Magst                    |          Company I Regiment 1st N. C.
Probate Judge                          |          S. W. Brock
                                                     |         Company C Regiment 5th
 
Marriage

I was married to him the 2 day of September 1869. My husband did not desert the service of the Confederate States nor of this State. My husband died on 2 day of Febry 1919. My income from all sources does not exceed $500.00-does not exceed $1000.00. I am 66 years of age. I reside at B. A. Brocks in Chesterfield County, S.C. and have lived there since the First day of January 1910.

James P. Brock is my 1st cousin 4 times removed.
______________________________
[1] "Confederate Pension Applications," SC Department of Archives and History, SC Archives Database (http://www.archivesindex.sc.gov/onlinearchives/search.aspx : viewed 30 March 2009), Confederate Pension Applications, Catherine J. Brock, "S126088: BROCK, CATHERINE J. OF CHERAW, CHESTERFIELD COUNTY APPLICATION FOR PENSION FOR SERVICE OF JAMES P. BROCK IN COMPANY I, FIRST S.C. ARTILLERY.," S12608802441a & S12608802441b.
















No comments:

Post a Comment