Monday, July 14, 2014

Amanuensis Monday~Jeptha Gulledge

 
Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of Jephta Gulledge, son of Rev. Joel Gulledge.1

Jeptha Gulledge Will
Jeptha Gulledge WILL, page 2

J. JEPTHA GULLEDGE
Considering the uncertainty of this mortal life and being of a sound mind and memory blessed be almighty God for the Same do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following (that is to say), 
p. 111 Cont) First I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife Catherine Gulledge all my land tenement houses barnes ways woods and water during her lifetime or widowhood to her and my boys that is I wish my boys to have fifty acres at the north end of my land whare Green Chambers now lives.  I also give to my wife two mares and one Sorrel colt four cowes her choice two hefers ten head of sheep ten choice head of fatning hogs waggon and Steers farming utensils household and Kitchen furniture two sows and pigs her choice.  I give and bequeath to my Son Thomas B.  Gulledge one sorrell colt I wish my son William R. Gulledge to have A  colt give to my son Joel L.  Gulledge one A bay colt I give to my son Joel L.  Gulledge one Sorrel colt.I wish my son William R.  Gulledge to have a horse worth as much as the other boys colts out of my wife Shear of the property. 
(p. 1112) I give to my daughter Zelphia A.  Gulledge one cow and calf one feather bead.  I give to my daughter Mary Jane Gulledge one cow and calf and one feather Bead.  I give my Daughter Martha Ellen Gulledge one cow and calf and one feather Bead.  All the rest of my perishable property after my death to be sold to the highest bidder and my debts paid and the balance to be put out on Interst and as my children become of age to have an equal Shear of it.  I hereby appoint John Sellers, Sr. my Sole Executor of this my last will and testoment, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.  In witness whare of I hereunto set my hand and seal this 4th day of September in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and forty two.
Witness:  Hiram Laws, John W.  Sellers  )
                                                                          Jeptha Gulledge  (Seal)

State of Tennessee  )
Carroll County  (  October Term 1842.
This day the last will and tesoment of Jeptha Gulledge was produced in open Court and the Executor their of was duly proven by the oathes of Hiram Laws and John W.  Sellers the two Subscribing witness their to and ordered to be recorded.
A Copy Test
Y W Allen  Clk.



Jeptha Gulledge was born between 1801 and 1810, a son of Rev. Joel Gulledge and Zilphia Huntley. He married Catherine Sellers, born abt 1806, a daughter of John Sellers and Henrietta Norwood. They migrated to Carroll County , Tennessee before the 1830 Census was enumerated. They had seven children, 4 sons and 3 daughters. Jeptha Gulledge died about 1842 in Carroll County, Tennessee. No tombstone has been found marking a known grave site.

Jeptha and Catherine Sellers Gulledge along with her parents, John and Henrietta Norwood Sellers are all in Carroll County, Tennessee prior to 1830 and most likely traveled together when they left Chesterfield County, South Carolina.

___________________________
[
http://tn-roots.com/tncarroll/wills/gulledgej111.htm]
"Tennessee, Probate Court Books, 1795-1927," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/DGS-004768996_00449?cc=1909088&wc=M6Q7-T29:179638201,180028401 : accessed 12 Jul 2014), Carroll > Wills, 1822-1864, Vol. A > image 66 & 67 of 229.


No comments:

Post a Comment