Sunday, November 9, 2014

Ancient DNA–Ancient Hungarian genome (BR2) Y-DNA and mtDNA


The day after my birthday on 5 November I received the following E-mail.


Ancient DNA
Click image to view larger


“Hi,
Ancient DNA sample from 1110-1270 cal  BC (referred as BR2) from Ludas-Varjú-dűlő site in Hungary was sequenced by authors of the research paper 'Genome flux and stasis in a five millennium transect of European prehistory' and also provided the raw data. I converted this into formats familiar to genetic genealogists (or genotyped) which can be downloaded from y-str.org. I also filtered with SNPs tested by DNA testing companies like FTDNA, 23andMe and Ancestry and upload to GEDMatch as kit# F999933 to see if there are any matches. It is interesting to see there are indeed several matches.

I posted the following blog: Ancient sample BR2 matches living people

Other ancient DNA samples can also be found here - www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html
I am sending this email to people who match significantly with this ancient DNA (above 500 SNPs / 5 cM threshold in GEDmatch) . I thought you might be interested in knowing that you (or one of the kit you manage) matches an ancient DNA.

Best Regards,
Felix Chandrakumar”

My match is 7.6 cM on Chromosome #1


BR-2 Genome
Click Image to view Larger

















While I am not sure exactly what the major significance of this information is, I know that the essence of the e-mail and blog posting is that fragments or small segments of Ancient DNA has been found in modern day population and that my genetic profile contains this Ancient Hungarian DNA.

If interested, you can compare your data on GEDmatch to this ancient Hungarian genome.
Go to GEDmatch.com
Log in
Do a one-to-one-Comparison
Enter your Kit # as the 1st Kit
Enter F999933 as Kit #2

There will be an Ancient DNA project that you can join sometime in the near future. Currently, FTDNA has all Ancient DNA locked; but once released you will be able to join the project.

Related Articles:
If you haven't posted your Ancestry, 23andMe and Family Finder data on GEDmatch I highly recommend you so so. It's free and it will increase the possibilities of connecting with relatives. 

















6 comments:

  1. I match BR2 7.6 on chromosome 18. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tracy, do you think our Ancient ancestors knew each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Largest segment = 4.6 cM
    Total of segments > 1 cM = 751.9 cM
    505 matching segments

    Big segments on Chromosome 1 and 2

    ReplyDelete
  4. i literally match the BR2 ancestor on all chromosomes. Its a really strong match

    ReplyDelete
  5. My match is on Ch12, 5.1 cm, SNPs 510, plus smaller segments (3-4 cm) in Ch 1, 12 and 20. How can this be interpreted?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I matched "BR2, Hungary, 3.2ky" 7.0 cM at chromosome 2. What is the significance of this? My 23andme results showed no hungarian. But when I transferred my results to familytreedna it popped up 3% hungarian. So I completely dismissed the results. I am of Mexican ancestry so this was implausible. Then a few days later I was able to confirm through my mom that in her village where she grew up in Mexico occasionally gypsies would pass through. But they didn't call them gypsies, they called them "hungaros" which is the spanish word for hungarian. So now it doesn't seem implausible.

    ReplyDelete