Monday, May 11, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~Will of John L. P. Boan


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of John Lewis Percy Boan written in 6 June 1879.1

John L. P. Boan WILLJohn L. P. Boan WILL, page 2.

In the name of God Amen.
I John L. P. Boan of the County of Chesterfield and state of South Carolina, do make and publish this my last will and testament in manner and form following, that is to say--
First, It is my will and desire that all my lawful debts and funeral expenses be paid.
Second- I give and bequeath to my son, Elisha Boan one horse, one cow and calf, one Rifle Gun and all contents of the Blacksmith Shop including the carpenters Tools.
Third- I give and bequeath to my daughter Flora Boan one cow and calf, one Ox and 0ne feather bed and furniture.
Fourth- I give and bequeath to my daughter Jane Crowley one cow and calf and one feather bed and furniture.
Fifth- I give and bequeath to my grandson William R. E. Boan three heads of dry cattle, one blue Sow and shoats, one Rifle Gun and one feather bed and furniture, my said grandson to have first choice of the beds.
Sixth- I give and bequeath to my daughter Caroline Norton, Martha Grooms and Eliza Boan and my Grandson Kendrick Boan each one dollar.
Seventh- It is my will and desire that all the rest of my property of every kind and description whatsoever shall be equally divided amongst my following named children to wit-- Eliza Boan, Elisha Boan, Jane Crowley, Margaret Jordan, Flora Boan and my grandson William R. E. Boan , share and share alike.
Eight- I nominate constitute and appoint my son Elisha Boan Executor of this my last will and testament.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this __6__ day of June, A. D. 1879.
Signed seal, published and}                        John L. P. Boan {seal}
declared by the said John L.P.}
Boan as and far his last will}
and testament, in our presence}
who at his request in his presence}
and in the presence of each other}
have subscribed our names as}
Witnesses.]
(The words "and Eliza Boan" in the}
Sixth clause ?? before}
Signing & Sealing}
A. E. Boan
Presley Boan
B. M. Morrison









_________________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19384-51756-9?cc=1911928&wc=MPPR-PTP:190567401,190561002,190567402,190904401 : accessed 6 May 2015), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0331-0383 > image 802-803 of 1383; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.

























No comments:

Post a Comment