Monday, July 20, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~ Will of Jacob Ganey


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.


His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is The Chesterfield District WILL of Jacob Ganey, 1845.

WILL OF JACOB GANEY OF CHESTERFIELD DISTRICT 26 FEBRUARY 1845
State of South Carolina)
Chesterfield District)
In the name of God Amen. I Jacob district of Chesterfield and State of South Carolina, being weak in body but of Sound mind and disposing memory, do make and publish this my last will and Testament this 26th day of February In the year our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty-five in manner and form following.
First - I desire that the present crop now on hand shall be made and Gathered after which I desire the sale of my Negro man Nelson, and the proceeds go to the payment of my debts.
Second- I Give and bequeath to my beloved Lewis Ganey the sum of one dollar.
Third - I give and bequeath to my beloved brother John Ganey the sum of one dollar to be paid unto them respectively so soon as one year after my decease shall be Expired.
FOURTH- I give & bequeath affectionate wife Charlotte Ganey all of my Lands containing about four hundred and twenty five acres with the Exception of Forty Acres off of the South side of the Teel tract of Land including the buildings wherein James Jones now lives- for which I have given a deed to Martha Jones. Also I give and bequeath unto my affectionate wife Charlotte Ganey all the remainder of my Negroes-twelve in number namely Bob, Sucky, Wilson, Sally, Hannah, Sam, Amy, Charlotte, Eliza, Mary, Harriet and Milly. Also I give and bequeath to my aforesaid wife all of my stock of Horses, Hogs, Cattle & Sheep, Also I give and bequeath to my wife all my household goods, Bedsteads, beding, and other furniture and also all the rest and residue of my personal Estate whatsoever and wheresoever of what nature, Kind and quality _____ the same may be, and not herein before given and disposed of (after payment of my debts and funeral Expenses) I do give and bequeath unto my beloved wife her Executors administrators and assigns to and for her and their own use and benefit absolutely.
And I do hereby constitute and appoint my said wife Charlotte Ganey sole Excutrix of this my last will and testament. In witness I have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written.

Signed, Sealed, published and declared by the)
said testator as and for his last will and)
testament in our presence, who at his request )                his
in his presence and in the presence of each)            Jacob P. Ganey (seal)
other have subscribed our names as Witnesses )              mark
thereto.)
    Wm. L. Robeson
    John L. P. Boan
    James K. Jones
Proved 14 Apr. 1845 & Recorded in Book No. 1, page 25 17 Apr. 1845.
Also qualified Charlotte Ganey Executrix on the 14 April 1845
(Signed) T. Bryan, O.C.D.


Jacob Ganey was twice married; Charlotte was his second wife whom he married on 11 August 1836. His first wife, was Sarah “Sally” Kendricks Jackson; she died in August 1835. By his first wife, Sally, they had one son, Lewis Ganey born about 1770.

Jacob died 4 April 1845 and his widow, Charlotte, later married Amos Lambeth on 1 December 1846.
These details are spelled out in Chesterfield County Equity records, Item 12.

[#12] Gainey, Lewis, Wm. H. Gainey & others vs. Charlotte Gainey - Bill for account and specific delivery of property 1846.

Sarah Gainey, wife of Jacob Gainey (married in Anson County, NC) died August 1835, leaving her husband and sister, Elizabeth; Her sister, Elisabeth, wife of Lewis Gainey, had a son, William H. Gainey. In 1836, after the death of his wife, Sarah, Jacob Gainey married Charlotte Jones. Jacob Gainey died 4 April 1845. On 1 December 1846, Charlotte Jones Gainey married Amos Lambeth. Charlotte Jones Gainey Lambeth had no children from either marriage. Deposition of James P. Gainey of Henry County, Alabama, states that he is the son of William H. Gainey and grandson of Lewis Gainey.


______________________
[1] Reference- SC Department of Archives, Chesterfield Equity, Lewis Ganey, William H,. Ganey et al vs. Charlotte Ganey and [SOURCE: The Darlington Flag, Volume 6, No. 3, Summer 1994, Pages 24, 25 & 26.
[2] names also spelled Gainey, Ganey,
[3] SOURCE: #12 Index and Genealogical Abstracts of the Chesterfield District Court of Common Pleas, Equity Side, 1823-1869, page 116 as recorded in "Cheraw/Chesterfield District Wills, 1750-1865 & Abstracts from the Court of Common Pleas 1823-1869, Published by James C. Pigg, Copyright 1995.

No comments:

Post a Comment