Monday, July 27, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~Sion Page Will, 1885


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.


His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is the Stanly County WILL of Sion Page, 1885.

Sion Page Will[1]I, Sion Page of the County of Stanly and Sate of North Carolina being of sound mind and memory but considering the uncertainty of my earthly existence do male and declare this to be my last Will and Testament in manner and form following,That is to say first That my  executor herein after named shall provide for my  body a decent burial suitable to the wishes of my relatives and friends, and pay all burial expense together with my just debts wherever however and to whomever owing, out of the moneys  that may first come into his hand as a part or parcel of my estate. 
Item 1st. I give and devise to my daughter Mary Frances one Cow & calf one bed and furniture, two hogs entirely hers. I also give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Frances my Kitchen furniture one chest, one Table, Six Chairs. All my Cooking Utensils and my table ware.
                My will and desire is that all the residue of my estate shall be sold and the debts owing to me collected, and if there should be any surplus over and above the payment of debts and expenses shall be paid to my daughter Mary Frances for her support.
And lastly I do hereby constitute and appoint my trusty friend Wm. R. Hartsell my lawful executor, to all intent and purposes, to execute this my last Will and Testament according to the true intent and meaning of the same and every part and clause thereof, hereby revoking and declaring utterly void all other Wills and Testaments by me heretofore made.  In Witness whereof I the said Sion Page do hereunto set my hand seal. This the 30th day of October Anno Domini 1885.
                                                                     Sion (X his mark) Page {Seal}
Signed Sealed published and }
delivered by the said Sion Page}
to be his last Will and Testament}
in the presence of us, who at his request and in his presence}
do subscribe our names as Witnesses thereto.
                                                                                Conrad Craton
                                                                                G. N. Craton

Sion Page and his wife Nancy Dove are my 3rd Great Grandparents.










_____________________________
[1]"North Carolina, Probate Records, 1735-1970," images, FamilySearch(https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1951-20079-18592-85?cc=1867501&wc=32GQ-2NL:169988501,170067001: accessed 21 July 2015), Stanly > Wills, 1868-1907, Vol. 2 > image 114 of 359; county courthouses, North Carolina. [Will Book 2, page 154]

2 comments:

  1. Charlie, I love wills and estate papers that list an ancestor's belongings like cows or household items. It helps give a picture of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sion had 6 daughters and 3 sons; but, it was Mary Frances that stayed home and took care of her parents.

    ReplyDelete