Monday, December 7, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~Will of James [Ellis] Eddings, Sr.


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
 

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.



Today’s subject is The Chesterfield County WILL of James Eddings, 1894.1

Will of James Eddings, page 1Will of James Eddings, page 2
In the name of God Amen.  I James Eddings of the County of Chesterfield State of South Carolina Being of Sound Mind and Disposing Memory but feeble in Body and Knowing the uncertainty of Life and the certainty of death do make ordain Publish and declare this to be my Last Will and Testaments in Manner and form following.
First It is my Wish and my Will and I hereby direct my Executor who hereinafter named to take possession of all Such Property as I may own including my Growing crops, and as speedily and practical thereafter from its proceeds pay such Sums as may be found due to Mrs. Alice Goodwin, John T.McNair, my burial expenses and the amount due A. A. Pollock and after the payments of said Debts, divide the remainder of my property as follows.
2 I give and bequeath to my Daughter Winnie Hammonds my Sewing Machine.
3 I give and bequeath to my Son Ellis my Double Barrel Gun.
4. I give and bequeath to my Son Henry my watch.
5. I give and bequeath to my Son Ellis My daughter Hattie My daughter Carrie My Daughter Emma & My daughter Alice all of my Household and Kitchen Furniture and after the payments of the above named Debts any Surplus of crops remaining together with my Horse and Wagon I wish sold and the proceeds divided between my said Son Ellis and my daughter Hattie, Carrie, Emma and Alice in Equal proportions Share and share alike My Son Frank William and John being able to take care of themselves  I give them nothing by this my Last Will and Testament. They having already received their Share of my Estate.
It is also my Will and my Wish that my Wife Christian Receive no part or Share of my Estate and Lastly, I nominate and appoint R. C. Goodwin Executor of My Estate and Guardian of my children Ellis, Hattie, Carrie, Emma and Alice.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto Signed my name and affixed my seal this 22nd day of April AD 1894.
                                 
Signed Sealed Published}              James X his mark Eddings {LD}
And Declared by the Testator}
To be his Last Will and Testament}
And we signed the same as}
Witnesses thereto in the presence}
of the Testator at his request}
and in the presence of each other}
B. T. Perkins
H. P. Peques
H. E. Hammond


James Ellis Eddins, Sr. was 66 years of age when he passed away. He had been married multiple times. His wives were:
1st. Diana ‘Ann’ Boan; md. abt 1847
2nd. Maria Marshall Goodwin; md. 5 Nov 1868
3rd. Emily Moore;  abt 1877

4th. Christian LNU; md. Unknown

He had a total of 12 children; 5 by his 1st wife, 2 by his 2nd wife and 5 by his third wife. No known children exists from his marriage to Christian named in the above Will. 








___________________________
[1]  "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19427-35896-6?cc=1911928 : accessed 6 December 2015), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0553B-0637 > images 1196 & 1197 of 1488; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.

No comments:

Post a Comment