Saturday, January 16, 2016

It’s Family Time~Gilbert Johnston Purvis


I have been tied up with handing the estate for my Aunt that passed away at age 92 on 20 December 2015. For the next few weeks it will keep me busy working to get the estate inventoried, disposed of and the property put up for sale; so please bear with me for I know I will not be able to post as often as I would like.

Today's family time article will be a short one about Gilbert J. Purvis. 

There is no doubt that Gilbert J. Purvis is the son of Gilbert Purvis and his wife Effica Howell. Gilbert J. was not their first born; that honor goes to a daughter called Sally. Gilbert J. also had an older brother names James; quite possible James J. Purvis or James Johnston Purvis. 

Gilbert J. Purvis was born about 1792 and died November 1835 in Hinds County, Mississippi. He never married.

Much speculation has been espoused about his middle name; some says the J represents Johnson while others say it represents Johnston and a lot of individual say he was married but it is not so. 

A partial land deed found within the Spencer Family Papers, 1700-1900 should put an end to this speculation for it clearly shows that Gilbert J. Purvis is Gilbert Johnston Purvis.

20160112_201543-1 

My thank to Gary Purvis for providing this snippet from a land deed between Gilbert Purvis and William Turnaage. A search of the SC Library system will find this page.1


________________________
[1] http://dc.statelibrary.sc.gov/handle/10827/8798

No comments:

Post a Comment