Monday, April 4, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Thomas Sweatt, 1873


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is the Chesterfield County Will of Thomas Sweatt, 1873. 1

Thomas Sweatt WILL, page 1Thomas Sweatt WILL, page 2

The State of South Carolina} In the name of God Amen.
County of Chesterfield} I Thomas Sweatt of the County and State aforesaid do hereby make ordain publish and declare this my last will and testament in manner following to wit
1st I will and bequeath to my daughter Louarka Lougina one beauro [bureau] to be hers upon my death when she shall arrive at the age of twenty one years
2nd I will and bequeath to my son Thomas W. W. H. A. Sweatt one Cross Cut Saw and one Sythe & cradle to be his and his heirs and assigns upon my death when he shall become twenty one years old
3rd I will and bequeath to Margaret E. Tiner Aliza A Dixon Mary E. Terry John A. Sweatt and Leander Sweatt my children by a former marriage who have heretofore been provided for the sum of one dollar cash to be paid to them by my Executrix herein named upon my death
4th I will and bequeath unto my wife Anice P. during her life all the Land that I may die seizes and possessed of and all my personal property except that mentioned in the first, second and third paragraph pf this my last will and it is my will that she have the use of the beauro [bureau] until my daughter Louarka L. shall engage in keeping a house of her own upon her marriage or otherwise And at the death of my said wife I will that all my personal property that she may not have consumed necessarily by the use of it and in her support Shall be equally divided between my two children by her above mentioned and her two children by a former marriage to wit Louarka L. Sweatt Thomas W. W. H. A. Sweatt, John B C Hunt and Cordiann M R Hunt Share and Share alike
5th I will and bequeath that the land, above mentioned after the death of my wife shall be equally divided between my children Louarka L. Sweatt and Thomas W. W. H. A. Swett Share and share alike to be theirs, their heirs and assigns forever upon the death of my said wife
6th I hereby recognize a deed of gift made by my wife to her children by a former marriage of certain personal property and will that said children have said property
7th It is my will that my wife Anice P. shall be the Executrix of this my last will and testament utterly revoking and renouncing all other wills heretofore by me made
Signed sealed published and declared by the testator in the presence of the subscribing witnesses hereto who signed the same in his presence and in the presence of each other and by his request
Illegible, last will & testament this}               Thomas Sweatt {seal}
October 11th 1873}
M. J. Hough}
W. J. Perkins}
T. F. Mulloy}

Thomas Sweatt was twice married; 1st to Elizabeth Anna ‘Eliza’ Tyner according to her tombstone and FindAGrave memorial. 2

His second wife was the Widow of  Cordell Hunt, Annis P. Lowry Hunt. 3

The date of death for Thomas Sweatt is illegible on his tombstone. His FindAGrave memorial shows that he died Nov. 28, 1871. This is incorrect. Thomas wrote and signed his Will on 11 October 1873. He died sometime after this date.






 
______________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19384-43653-4?cc=1911928 : accessed 28 March 2016), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0331-0383 > image 497-498 of 1383; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.
[2] http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=104338579
[3] http://findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=104339065














No comments:

Post a Comment