Monday, May 9, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Esther Melchor Dry

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

 
Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Esther Melchor Dry. 1
 
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-195-2626322-1-64?cc=1867501

Esther Melcher Huneycutt Will
Esther Dry Will



North Carolina }  Probate Court
Cabarrus County}
                                A paper writing purporting to be the last will and testament of Esther Dry is this day … in open Court for probate by Lawson W. Dry which is in the following means & figures
“Know all men by these presents that I Esther Dry in the county of Cabarrus and state of North Carolina being infirm tho of sound and disposing memory mind and memory do make and publish this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me at any time heretofore made and as to my worldly goods Estate and all of the property real personal or mixed of which I shall die seized and posefsed or to which I shall been titled at the time of my decease I devise, bequeath and dispose thereof in the manner following to wit.
I give devise and bequeath to my son Tobias Dry fifty cents to be paid to him by my executor herein after named Six months after my decease to have and to hold the same to him his executors administrators and afsigns forever.
I give devise and bequeath to my son P. W. Dry fifty cents for him to hold his heirs and afsigns forever to be paid to him as above mentioned.
I give devise and bequeath to my son John Dry fifty cents for him to his heirs and afsigns forever to be paid to him or his heirs as above mentioned.
I give devise and bequeath to my son H. W. Dry fifty cents for him to hold to his heirs and afsigns forever to be paid to him as above mentioned.
I give devise and bequeath to my son Lawson W. Dry  all of my land and house thereon and to his bennefits <sic> derived there from for him to hold to his heirs and afsigns forever situated and lying as follows:   Beginning a No Abraham Dry corner then N 57 W 200 poles to a BC N 62 W 23 22 poles to a stake then to 40 W 27 poles to a P. O. S 52 E 121 poles to a W. O. then South83 poles to a B. O. runs S 83 E 34 poles to w willow Oak runs N 23 E 51 poles to a stake Then S 51 E 51 poles to w pine knot in said Dry line then N 20 E 61 poles to the beginning corner containing Eighty acres lying in County and State above mentioned,
I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Dry fifty cents for her to hold for her heirs and afsigns forever. 
I give and bequeath to my daughter Catherine Dry fifty cents for her to hold to her heirs and afsigns forever. 
And lastly I do nominate and appoint my said son Lawson W. Dry to be the Executor of this my last will & Testament  Subscribed my name and  affixed my seal this the sixth day of June one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Esther X (her mark) Dry {Seal}
Signed Sealed & delivered
By the said Esther Dry as and for
Her last will & testament in
The presence of us who at her
Request and in her presence and in the
Presence of each other have subscribed our names
As witnefses thereto
A. E. Eury                                          Sarah X (her mark) A. Dry{Seal}
Martin M. X his mark Starns             Phillip W. Dry {Seal}
                                                           Mary X her mark Catherine Dry {seal}
                                                           Christine Bost {Seal}


The said Lawson W Dry is to keep feed and clothe me my lifetime otherwise this Will is void and of no effect.
                                                                                                                                                                                       Esther  X her mark Dry {Seal}
A. E. Eury


The Last Will & Testament of Esther Melchor Dry, deceased widow of Solomon Dry, was admitted for probate on Oct. 6, 1878 in Open Court, Cabarrus County, NC, and ordered to be recorded and filed. 2
Esther Melchor and Solomon Dry were married on 11 Dec 1821 in Cabarrus County.
Solomon Dry and Esther Melchor had the following children:
i. Tobias Augustus Dry, born 22 Sep 1822, Cabarrus County, North Carolina
ii. Philip Wiley Dry was born on 22 May 1824.
iii. Sarah Ann Dry was born about 1828. 
iv. Henry W. Dry was born about 1829. 
v. Mary Catherine Dry was born about 1833. 
vi. Christena Dry, born 5 Aug 1834.
vii. Margaret Dry was born about 1835.
viii. John Dry, born abt 1836, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
ix. Lawrence W. Dry, born abt 1840, Cabarrus County, North Carolina.
All of the nine children, named above, are mentioned in the Will above or signed the Will in the case of Christine Bost with the exception of Margaret Dry. I have not found any mention of Margaret beyond the 1850 census and believed that she passed away before 1860. 








___________________________________
"North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-195-2626322-1-64?cc=1867501 : accessed 6 May 2016), Cabarrus > Wills, 1868-1888 > image 124 of 302; county courthouses, North Carolina.
[2] Cabarrus County, North Carolina, Probate Files & Loose papers, Esther Dry; digital images, Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, FamilySearch (http://www.familysearch.org: viewed 5 May 2016); Record of settlements, v. 1 1846-1858.
Note: Lawson/Lawrence, same individual. 

No comments:

Post a Comment