Monday, April 24, 2017

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of George Cagle.


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
 
His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

 
Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of George Cagle.

 
LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT of GEORGE CAGLE


George Cagle WILL
Be it remembered that I George Cagle of the County of Stanly and state of North Carolina considering myself to be of perfect sound mind and memory, and not knowing the length of my earthly existence do make and declare this my last Will and testament hereby revoking all formal Wills by me made(viz)
First, I give and devise unto my daughter Mince A. Hartsell, fifty acres of land off the western ends of my three hundred acre tract commencing on Dunns line and running So. Wt. so as to include the above amount of Land, Also, I give and devise unto Ely Huneycutt My illegitimate son, one hundred and fifty acres of lands the whereupon I now live, by his maintaining my daughter Beedy M. Cagle during her natural life, in case she does not marry, and if she marry he shall be released from that obligation by his paying her one hundred dollars.
Also, I give  and devise unto my grandson William Huneycutt, seventy five acres of land, adjoining the fifty acres tract given to Mince A. so as to include the long house place, now in case the above named Ely Huneycutt and William Huneycutt should should <sic> be disobedient to me and nor serve as dutiful children till they attain the age of Twenty one years, in that case they shall have nothing of my property and in such case I direct That my daughter Beedy M. have one hundred acres of the lands designated for Ely Huneycutt including the dwelling house and out Building and I direct that the remainder of the lands designated for Ely and also the lands designated for William, and also all the balances of my lands not herein disposed of after running off my son David S. Cagle fifty acres to be divided equally Between my daughters Sarah Jones, Mary Smith, Martha Cagle, Ann, Jane and Fany L. Cagle and Malinda Criscoe.
                Also, I direct that my personal estate goods and chattels in every respect be sold and equally divided between my daughter Sarah Jones, Mary Smith, Martha Cagle, Ann J. Cagle, Fany L. Cagle, Malinda Crisoe, Mince A. Hartsell and Beedy M. Cagle and my son David S. Cagle and my son Ely Huneycutt and my grandson William Huneycutt, and also my saw mill with ten acres of land for the cite and privileges of the same , adjoining J. A. Crisco line be sold and equally divided between my daughters above named.
                I hereby make ordain and appoint S. C. Little my lawful Executor of this my last Will and Testament in testimony whereof I hereunto set my hands and Subscribe my name this 30th day of November 1868.
Attest                                                                          George Cagle (Seal)
A. J. Austin
S. C. Little

This George Cagle was born about 1812 and lived until about 1888. His wife was called Elizabeth and some say she was Elizabeth Rose Whitley. They were married about 1834; their fist born arrived on 30 March 1835. 

I have 9 Eli Huneycutts in my database and George could have been the father of at least 5 of these men.

If you have any information on Ely and William I would love to hear from you.

___________________
[1] "North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9GCC-2PX?cc=1867501&wc=32GQ-2NL%3A169988501%2C170067001 : 21 May 2014), Stanly > image 127 of 359; county courthouses, North Carolina.Will Book 2, Pages 176-177; Stanly County, North Carolina

No comments:

Post a Comment