Monday, June 12, 2017

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Johan Martin Dry, 1836.


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:

Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Johan Martin Dry, 1836.


Martin_Dry_Will_page1-1Martin_Dry_Will_page2-1

Page 305 & 306
Transcription:

Be it remembered that heretofore to wit: at a court of Pleas and quarters sefsions begun and held at the Court House in Concord on the Third Monday of January 1837 and in the Sixty first year of American Independence ---
Present the Worshipful
William Gilliaw}
John S. Beard}  Esq.
Levi Stope}
That at the Court aforesaid the following Wills Deeds and other instruments were recorded and ordered to be registered.
The last will and testament of Martin Dry was produced in open Court & duly proven by the Oath of P. Barringer a subscribing witnefs and the Executor there in named were qualified and received letters testamentary.
In the name of God Amen. I Martin Dry of the County of Cabarrus and State of North Carolina, being of sound mine and memory, but being weak in bodily strength and knowing as I do. That it is the lot of all men to die, do make & establish  this as my last will and testament viz: 1st I will and bequeath to my son John Dry the plantation whereon I now live lying on the east side of Dutch Buffalo Creek adjoining  Moses  Barrier, the lands of Andrew Dry Dec’d Owen Dry & George Dry containing one hundred and thirty nine and ¼ acres to him and his heirs forever, but the said John Dry is to pay to my Estate five hundred dollars at the end of twelve month after the death of me, and my wife Catherine Dry.
2nd I will and bequeath to my Son Peter Dry the plantation whereon he now lives adjoining George Dry, Esq, David Blackwelder and others containing containing one hundred and fifty acres, for which he has my deed by his paying twenty five dollars to his Brother John dry and twenty five dollars to his brother George Dry, after his mother’s death to him and his heirs forever-
3rd I will to Son John Dry the plantation whereon he now lives joining Daniel Peninger, Mike Stough and others containing ninety five acres to him and his heirs forever.
4th I will and bequeath to my Son George Dry the tract of land whereon he now lives for which he has my deed, containing two hundred and Fifty acres, joining Martin Hone, Henry Shod and others to him and his heirs forever.
5th I will and bequeath to my Son Martin Dry two hundred and fifty dollars it being money I have already advanced to him, two dollars I have neither note or receipt for and the other fifty dollars to be deducted our of a Hundred note I hold on him, these two hundred and fifty dollars I intend him in place of the lands I willed to my other Sons. the tract of land whereon he now lives for which he has my deed, containing two hundred and Fifty acres, joining Martin Hone, Henry Shod/Shoe and others to him and his heirs forever.
6th I will and bequeath to my son-in-law Mark Honeycutt the tract of land whereon he now lives lying on Meadow Creek joining Peter Teeter and others containing One hundred and fourteen acres but the said Mark Honeycutt must pay to my estate three hundred dollars. Then the Executor herein after names shall make him & his heirs a good and lawful deed, for the same, the money to be paid twelve months after the death of me and my wife Catherine Dry.
7th I will and bequeath to my son-in-law Jacob Kanoy the tract of land whereon he now lives containing two hundred and thirty three acres, adjoining George Eagle, Mathias Barringer and others on Bear Creek, but the said Jacob Canoy is to pay to my estate for said lands two years after the death of my wife the sum of three hundred dollars, to him and his heirs fore ever.
8th I will and bequeath to my Daughter Elizabeth Seater wife of Peter Teeter one hundred dollars.
9th I will and bequeath to my Daughter Catherine Layton one hundred dollars wife of John Layton.
10th I will and bequeath to my Daughter Sally Kanoy wife of Jacob Canoy one hundred dollars.
11th I will and bequeath to my Daughter Catroul Huneycutt wife of Mark Honeycutt one hundred dollars.
12th I will and bequeath to my Daughter Esther Sides wife of David Sides one hundred dollars.
13th It is my will and desire that after my death that all the property I die seized of & possessed of both real & personal be sold by my executor hereafter named (Exception / such household furniture as my wife Catherine Dry may a lot for her use during her natural life} to the highest bidder, at a reasonable credit and the money arising from the same & my notes # first to pay cash of my Daughters before named each one hundred dollars willed them, the balance to be equally divided among all my children Viz Peter, Martin, John, George, Elizabeth, Catherine, Sally, Catroul, & Esther or their lawful heirs.
14th I now nominate, constitute and appoint to this my last will and testament as executor my son Peter Dry & my son in law David Sides hereby revoking all former wills by me made, in witness where of I have hereunto set my hand & Seal this 26th day of September in the year of our Lord as 1836 Signed Sealed & Subscribed in presence of us.
L. P. Barringer, Jr.                                                                    Martin Dry {seal}
Moses Barrier                   NB Dry signature in German in Will.

Johan Martin Dry is my paternal 4th Great Grandfather.




_________________________
[1] Cabarrus County Pleas and Quarter Sessions, 1836, Cabarrus County, North Carolina, PQS 2/405- WILL of Martin Dry, NC State Archives, Raleigh, North Carolina, C.016.30003.
Cabarrus County, North Carolina, Pleas & Quarter Sessions Minutes; C.016.30003,; Vol. 2, p. 405; Will of Martin Dry (PQS 2/405).

No comments:

Post a Comment