Friday, November 3, 2017

The Marriage of Catherine Dry and John Laton

A few weeks ago I went looking for a marriage record of the marriage of Catherine Dry and John Laton. My fist attempt was a search of the wonderful Cabarrus County  marriage Bonds but I was unsuccessful in my search.

Most on-line trees shows that John Laton married Catherine Franklin Dry in  1811.
  • Where did this date come from?
  • Where did the middle name Franklin come from for Catherine Dry.
I don't consider Ancestry Family Tree to be a source and the marriage on these trees are not sourced. 

Next I searched two North Carolina Marriage Databases found on FamilySearch. Again there was no record of a marriage between Catherine Dry and John Laton.

After many hours of search I had absolutely no results in finding a marriage record for this couple and for my time on the computer. 

My last resort was the War of 1812 pension file for John Laton and it was in his pension file that I found a record of their marriage, the date it took place and the place of marriage.

John Laton and Catherine Dry were married on  10 June 1824 in Montgomery County, North Carolina.


Catherine Dry Marriage to John Laton


She [Catherine Dry Laton] further states that she was married to the said John Laton, in Montgomery County now Stanly County, on or about 10th June 1824, by  and John  Kendall who was, a Justice of the Peace, and that her name before the marriage was Catherine Dry. 1

The above snippet is a source and it was found within the pension file of John Laton.
Catherine Dry had no middle name on any document that I have found and there was no middle name mentioned in the document sourced above. 

Catherine Dry is the daughter of Johan Martin Dry and Catherine Keppel.

Catherine Dry is my 3rd Great Grand Aunt.




_____________________
[1]. War of 1812 Pension Application Files Index, 1812-1815, Record Group Number 15, NARA Microfilm Publication M313, 102 rolls (Washington D.C.: National Archives. NARA, ), Roll number: 56, John LATON, 1 March 1814-16 July 1814. https://fold3.com/image/1/315053476

No comments:

Post a Comment