Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Last Will and Testament of William Hurst



William Hurst was born 8 Aug 1813[1] in Chesterfield, SC to Phillip Hurst and his wife Elizabeth.

He was married twice; first to Nancy Rivers, daughter of Isaac and Nancy Rivers. They had two sons – Phillip and Isaac F. Hurst. Isaac died in the Civil War; Phillip survived the war and died in Texas

William married Lavinia "Vicy" Sellers sometime after 1860.  To this union were born 8 children. At the time that William wrote his Will; only one child from his first marriage is named within the Will – Phillip Hurst. Phillip, the son, died on 30 November 1880 in Collin County, Texas.

William Hurst died 4 March 1884.[2] [3]


William Hurst Will[4]
In the Name of God Amen
I, William Hurst of the County of Chesterfield in the State of South Carolina being of sound mind and memory, do make and publish this my Last Will and testament in manner and form following that
1. Is to say It is my will and desire that all my just debts and funeral expenses be paid.
2. It is my will and desire that all my property both real and personal (except such as is hereafter specified, shall be kept together until my youngest child Louisa shall become twenty one years of age and my wife and children to work my lands as they please
3. My will and desire that all money Bonds notes and accounts and all other choses in action and also all the cotton that I may have at the time of my death shall be divided between my wife Vicy Hurst, and my children John, Sarah, Lottie the wife of Frederick Rivers, Rochelle, Susannah and Louisa
4. It is my will and desire that as soon as my youngest child Louisa becomes twenty one years of age the property specified in the 2nd paragraph shall be divided among my wife and children share and share alike
5. It is my will that if my wife shall marry again she shall forfeit all her claim to my estate
6. It is my will that my wife shall only be allowed a child part that is shall equally with the children
7. I have already given my son Phillip (who is now dead) as much as he was entitled to
8. In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this third day of February AD 1883
Hereby revoking all former will by me made
Signed Sealed published and declared}
By William Hurst as and for his last}                                                 William X Hurst
Will and Testament in our presence who at}
His request in his presence and in the}
Presence of each other have Signed our}
Names as witnesses to the same}
E. F. Mulloy}
J. D. Evans}
W. J. Hanna

A daughter, Lucy Hurst, is listed in the 1870[5] & 1880[6] census. Lucy Hurst is not mentioned in the Will. No other record of her has been found. Based on these two census; Lucy Hurst was born about 1868 and died between 1880 and 1883. 

Vicy Sellers Hurst lived on for another 14 years dying on 28 Oct 1898[7]. William & Vicy are buried in the Hurst Cemetery, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.

William Hurst Estate File (#519A) [8]can be viewed on-line at FamilySearch.com. The Folder consists of 4 images; ALL are pages of his Will. Images start on Frame 923-927.



[1] James C. Pigg, Chesterfield County Cemetery Survey; Chesterfield County Genealogical Services, 1995, page 1125. Tombstone of William Hurst; 8 August 181–4 March 1884, Hurst Cemetery, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
[2] Ibid.
[3] Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com, Accessed on 15 March 2012; Headstone for William Hurst, Sr; Memorial # 29991656.
[4] Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Will Book 2: page 262 William Hurst; Probate Office, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
[5] 1870 U. S. Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Population Schedule, Court House, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Page 308A; Line 6, Household 393, Household of W[illiam] HURST.
[6] 1880 U. S. Census, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Population Schedule, Court House, Chesterfield, South Carolina, ED #005, Page 319C, Line 37, Dwelling 168, Family 168, Household of William HURST.
[7] Find A Grave, http://www.findagrave.com, Accessed on 15 May 2012; Headstone for Lavinia " Vicy" Sellers Hurst; Memorial # 29991679.
[8] Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Chesterfield County Estate Records, Estate #519A - William Hurst (), , ; South Carolina State Archives, Columbia, South Carolina | www.familysearch.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment