Friday, July 13, 2012

Strife in the Family

James L. Brock was born about 1793 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina. He and his family are enumerated in the 1850, 1860 and 1870 Census, Pike County, Mississippi. He died on 19 Mar 1871 at the age of 78 in Pike County, Mississippi. 

James L. Brock and Elizabeth Purvis were married about 1819 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina. Elizabeth Purvis, daughter of James F. Purvis and wife unknown, was born in 1806 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina. She died on 1 Apr 1873 at the age of 67 in Lexie, Walthall County, Mississippi.

James L. Brock and Elizabeth Purvis had the following children:

      i. Mary Jane Brock, born abt 1820; married Isham Bracken Hinson, abt 1837; died bef 1841.

      ii. Valentine Brock, born abt 1821, Alabama; married Bethany Thaney Ginn, abt 1845, Pike Co. MS; died 22 Feb 1881, Washington Pr.,LA. 

     iii. Catherine Brock was born in 1825 in Mississippi.

     iv. Eli P. Brock, born 2 Dec 1827, Marion Co., MS; married Winney E. Stallings, 20 Nov 1850, Pike Co., MS; died abt 1878, Pike Co., MS.

     v. Elizabeth Brock, born abt 1828; married James Tom Dillon; died 4 Jul 1900, Centerville, Walthall Co., MS.

     vi. Alexander B. Brock, born 1829, Pike County, MS; married Sarah Elizabeth Williams, abt 1859; died 30 Jan 1892, Walthall County, MS.

    vii. Nancy Brock, born abt 1830, Pike Co., Mississippi; married Elkanah L. Morris; married Thomas James Miller, abt 1863, Washington Parish, Louisiana; died 22 Aug 1896.

   viii. Angeline Brock, born abt 1835, MS; married Raiford L. Miller.

     ix. James L. Brock, born abt 1837, Pike Co., MS; married Mary Gabriella Bankston, 1858; died 29 Dec 1886, Pike Co., MS.

      x. William Brock, born 5 Apr 1840, Pike Co., MS; married Clara Ann Smith, 15 Dec 1858; died 14 Jan 1896, Pike Co., MS.

     xi. Martha Jane Brock, born 6 Aug 1843, Pike Co., MS; married Willis Richard Simmons, aft 12 May 1860; died 24 Jun 1906, Pike Co.,MS.


James L Brock and family moved from Chesterfield County, South Carolina about 1818 when his Father-in-law, James F. Purvis, Sr. and brother Gilbert Purvis moved their family down through Georgia to Clarke County, Alabama and finally settling in Hinds and Rankin County, Mississippi.

Somewhere along the way, some family strife developed. When Gilbert Purvis' son, Gilbert Johnson Purvis died in November 1835 he left a WILL that he had written in April of 1835.

The following paragraph is quoted from Gilbert Johnson Purvis WILL[1]


"In the first place as all of my property is now in dispute between myself & James P. J. Purvis and William Purvis and in consequence thereof I can make no specific bequests or legacies, it is my direction, will and desire that my executors herein after named shall forthwith and without delay proceed to ascertain & procure the portion of my father's estate the late Gilbert Purvis to which I am of right entitled. I claim all of the estate of which my mother was possessed at the time of her death---upon which property the said James P. J. Purvis has administered---For the negroes I have brought an action of replevin in the circuit court of Hinds County. I wish my executors herein after mentioned to prosecute or abandon that suit as they may be advised by the counsel whom I have employed in this suit, Messrs. Marsh & Mayson---Should the said suit be abandoned or should my executors herein after named be cast therein there and in that case I hereby direct my Executors to file a bill in chancery or commence such other suit as may be necessary & proper to procure from the aforesaid James P. J. Purvis, administrator as aforesaid, the full distribution & share of the estate of my deceased parents to which I am entitled insisting upon the advance made by my deceased father the said Gilbert Purvis to James Purvis the father of the said James P. J. Purvis in the lifetime of them both, and after my Executors shall have become possessed of the property to which I am entitled it is my will and desire that they divide the same after the payment of all my just debts equally share and share alike between all the children of James Purvis Senr. of Rankin except to Wright Barnes and Nancy his wife & James Brock & Betsey his wife formerly Nancy & Betsey Purvis to them I give and bequeath nothing---Provided however & it is my express will and direction that before any final distribution of my estate is made that my executors secure & secure effectually for my sister Sally Purvis, out of said estate the annual sum of one hundred & fifty dollars to be paid to her the said Sally for and during the term of her natural life, & to be paid at the end of each and every year."



In the early part of the WILL paragraph, Gilbert Johnson Purvis says that:

" all of my property is now in dispute between myself & James P. J. Purvis and William Purvis:"

In this sentence Gilbert Johnson Purvis is talking about two brothers James P. J. Purvis and William H. H. Purvis These two men are his nephews, sons of a deceased brother named James Purvis.

The deceased brother is also referred to as Johnson J. Purvis thus making it very confusing. Below is the elusive Johnson J.  Pervis  and James P. J. Pervis on the 1831 Simpson County, MS tax list.[2] This is believed to be Father – Son.  

  
" I hereby direct my Executors to file a bill in chancery or commence such other suit as may be necessary & proper to procure from the aforesaid James P. J. Purvis, administrator as aforesaid, the full distribution & share of the estate of my deceased parents to which I am entitled insisting upon the advance made by my deceased father the said Gilbert Purvis to James Purvis the father of the said James P. J. Purvis in the lifetime of them both, and after my Executors shall have become possessed of the property to which I am entitled"

In the above section we have Gilbert Johnson Purvis clearly stating that "my deceased father is Gilbert Purvis and that he made an advance to James Purvis and that James Purvis is the Father of James P. J. Purvis."

"the full distribution & share of the estate of my deceased parents to which I am entitled insisting upon the advance made by my deceased father the said Gilbert Purvis to James Purvis the father of the said James P. J. Purvis in the lifetime of them both"

The final strife in this family is with two sisters – Nancy and Betsy. Ironically, these two sisters are Gilbert Johnson Purvis 1st Cousin, daughters of James F. Purvis , Sr.  


"after the payment of all my just debts equally share and share alike between all the children of James Purvis Senr. of Rankin except to Wright Barnes and Nancy his wife & James Brock & Betsey his wife formerly Nancy & Betsey Purvis to them I give and bequeath nothing"

One thing is certain from the information presented; James & Elizabeth can forget any inheritance from her 1st Cousin Gilbert Johnson Purvis. 
 
I have found no evidence of a lawsuit in this case but will continue looking for answers. I have film on back order from the LDS Library related to these individual and hopefully that back order will be filled soon. 

If you have information about these individuals please contact me by e-mail or comment on this blog. 









[1] Gilbert Johnson Purvis, Last Will and Testament: page 48; Probate Office, Raymond, Mississippi, Mississippi.
Copied from GS Film #878728, page 48, LDS GENEALOGICAL LIBRARY, Salt Lake City, Utah. And Hinds County , Mississippi Will Book 1, Page 48.
[2] Mississippi State Archives, Various Records, 1820-1951; The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, *FamilySearch*, (http://www.familysearch.org: accessed 13 January 2012), Simpson,County Tax Rolls; 1831, Box 3764, Image 57 of 276, entry for Johnson J. Purvis.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment