Thursday, October 18, 2012

Last Will and Testament - Wells Godwin

Last Will of Wells Godwin
filed 27 Aug 1873


I, Wells Godwin, being of sound mind and desposing memory do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament.

1st: I will and bequeth all of my estate both real and personal of every kind after my funeral expenses and all just debts are paid unto my friends, J. S. & W. J. Wood, merchants of Greenville, Alabama for the use and in trust for my natural children, Francis M. Godwin and John A. Godwin, sons of Malinda Graves.

2nd: It is my will that my friends J. S. & W. J. Wood, trustees as aforesaid, shall as soon as practicle after my decease collect all my outstanding effects and if there be any left after paying my just debts place it at interest with good security.

3rd: My landed property will at the disposal of the above named trustees to sell or to rent as the times may be or they may think fit.

4th: It is my will that the above estate be turned over to F. M. Godwin when he arrives at the age of twenty one years as trustee for himself and John A. Godwin.

5th: It is understood that A. J. Godwin now living and T. P. Godwin, deceased have had their portion of my property.

6th: It is my will that Malinda Graves the mother of the within named children shall be supported out of my estate.

In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this 17th day of July, A. D. 1868.

Signed, sealed, and                                                                     Wells Godwin (seal)
acknowledged in the
presence of
C. L. Williams
D. B. Shaw
J. A. Shaw

The State of Alabama )
Butler County ) Before me H. W. Watson Judge of Probate for said county comes C. L. Williams one of the subscribing witness to the foregoing paper Writing who on his oath says that he was present and saw Wells Godwin whose name is signed to the foregoing paper writing.


Wells Godwin wrote his WILL on 17 July 1868. Malinda Graves, wife of Wells Godwin, died  2 Nov 1872. She was born in Anson County, NC the daughter of Lewis Graves and Ruth Ann Worthen. Wells Godwin died  31 Mar 1873; living 4 months and 29 days longer than his wife. Wells and Malinda had 7 children. At the time of his death only Andrew Jackson (A.J.); Francis Marion and John Albert Godwin were living. 






_________________
[1] Butler County, Alabama, Will Book 2: pages 197, 198, 199 WELLS GODWIN; Probate Office, Greenville, Butler County, Alabama.

No comments:

Post a Comment