Thursday, January 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday – My On-Line Genealogy Friends


For the past 37-38 years I have spent an amazing amount of time and energy researching my direct and indirect lines.

Computers and the internet have been an integral part of my research during the past the past 20+ years.

I put my first website on-line about 1995 or 1996. Don’t believe that old saying that “once it is put on the internet it’s there forever.” My website was on-line with a new internet host called Konnections.com back in 1995 and 1996 before I moved it over to a free site call Geocites.com. When I search today on the Internet Archives Wayback Machine, I find very little of the site remaining.


Geocites shut down about the time I moved from Utah back to North Carolina (2000) and I didn't bother finding another web hosting site. During this same time I was active on several Rootweb’s mailing list and served as administrator of a list.
Then a little over a year ago, I decided to start a blog; thus was born – Carolina Family Roots.

Over these many years I have made a lot of internet and e-mail friends; many of whom I am in contact with today.

How many of you can remember your first e-mail address. Well my first e-mail address way back in 1994 was with Prodigy and I was assigned - ANDH68A as a screen name for my e-mail. I still have genealogy e-mail archives from those days.

Now that we have reminisced a little, the intent of my blog posting today was to thank all the new friends I have interfaced with and corresponded with over the years. Some of you I have forgotten your name; but, every now and then I come across an e-mail or a document that you sent me and I remember you and it brightens my day.

Others, I will never forget and all my new found friends in the blogging world I just think you are so wonderful. I have been helped in my journey tremendously by your short or long presence in my life.

I have tried to give as much or more than I have received. You my friends, my readers and my followers have all enriched my life. I only hope that my impact on your life has been as fruitful.

Thank you all.

2 comments:

  1. I thought about thanking my on-line friends as well. Without someone's support, it makes the road pretty lonely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Devon,

      I don't see why not. I have made some great friend along the way and their help has been tremendous. I can't thank them enough. Go for it.

      Charlie

      Delete