Monday, February 4, 2013

Military Monday–WW I Draft Card-Ervin Brock

ERVIN BROCK WW I DRAFT CARD

In April 1917, the United States declared war on Germany. Six week later the Selective Service Act was passed by Congress.[1]
 
All able bodied men between the ages of 18-45 were required to register for the draft.[2]

Ervin [Samuel] Brock, at age 38, registered for the draft on September 12, 1918.
Ervin Brock is my second Cousin twice removed. Since his wife, Martha Purvis is my Grand Aunt; that also makes him my Grand Uncle.

There are 3 Irvin/Ervin Samuel Brock’s in Chesterfield County at the same time. This Ervin Samuel is a Jr. and is the son of Ervin Samuel Brock and Harriett “Hennie” Boatwright. The other spells Irvin with an “I” is and is a son of Stephen Brock and Nancy Smith.

My grand Uncle and Aunt, Irvin Samuel and Martha Purvis Brock had 9 children. Irvin died in 1954 and Martha died in 1966. Ervin death certificate[3] shows that he was buried at Zoar United Methodist Church Cemetery on 18 May 1954. There is no tombstone.
 
 
 

[1] Paraphrased from info on www.ancestry.com
[2] "World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918," on-line digital images, ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 27 August 2012), Ervin Brock; citing World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918, FHL Roll Number: 1852503; Birth Date: 6 Mar 1880.
[3] Ervin Brock, death certificate (long form) 005352 (17 May 1954), SC State Board of Health, Department of Health & Human Services, Columbia, Richland County, South Carolina.










No comments:

Post a Comment