Monday, September 15, 2014

Amanuensis Monday~the Will of Sarah Purvis

 

Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
 
His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of Sarah “Sallie” Huggins Purvis, wife of John Purvis.1
 
Sarah Purvis, page 313
Will Book 1, page 313


State of South Carolina}
County of Chesterfield}
In the name of God Amen
I Sarah Purvis of the County and St aforesaid being weak and feeble in body but of Sound and disposing Mind memory and understanding and being conscious of the uncertainty of this life and the certainty of death do make Ordain publish and declair <sic> this to be my last will and testament in manner and form following
First I will that all my just debts and funeral expenses shall be paid out of my estate as soon after my death as it may be done legally and conveniently.
Second After the payment of my debts and funeral expenses I give devise and bequeath all the remainder rest and residue of my estate to my two children William C. Purvis and Stephen D. Purvis to be equally divided between then sheare and sheare <sic> alike the said estate consisting principally of all that tract of land whereon I now reside the same being all of that track of land Granted by His Excellency Governor Charles Pinckney to one William Grant the third day of September in the Year of Our Lord one thousand seven hundred and ninety two (1792) except those portions of Said Grant that are now owned by Rolin Kite and the heirs at law of Isaac Hurst.
Third It is further my Will that my husband John Purvis Shall be allowed to occupy use and enjoy the aforesaid premises for his use benefit maintenance and support for and during the term of his natural life and during the term of his natural life it is my w2ill and I so enjoin upon my two Sons William C. Purvis and Stephen D. Purvis that they shal <sic> hold said Real estate in trust for the use benefit and support of my said husband.
Forth I hereby revoke all former Wills at any time by me heretofore made
In testimony whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and fixed my Seal the sixth day of March and in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and Eighty Eight and in the one hundred and twelfth year of the Sovereignty and Independence of the United State of America Sarah X Purvis {Seal}
 
Page 314
Signed Sealed published and declared by the above names Sarah Purvis as and far her Last Will and Testament in the presence of us who at her request and in her presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as Witnesses thereto
Rolin Kite
A. S. Smith
John N. Gardner
State of South Carolina}
Chesterfield County}
By H. D. Tiller Judge of Probate
Personally appeared before me J. N. Gardner one of the Subscribing Witnesses to the foregoing Instrument of Writing who made oath on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God that he saw Sarah Purvis Sign Seal publish pronounce and declare the Same to be her last will and testament that she was then of Sound and disposing mined memory and understanding to the best of deponent’s knowledge and belief and deponent together with A. S. Smith and Rolen Kite Signed their names thereto as witnesses at her request in her presence and in the presence of each other at the same time qualified William C. Purvis and Stephen D. Purvis Executors therein named
John N. Gardner
Given under my hand this 15th day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and eighty nine and in the one hundred and foreteenth <sic> yeare of American Independence
H. D. Tiller Judge of Probate {seal}
State of South Carolina}
County of Chesterfield}
I William C. Purvis and Stephen D. Purvis do solemnly Swear that this writing contains the true last will of the within named Sarah Purvis deceased so far as I know or believe and that we will well and truly execute the same by paying first the debts and then the legacies contained in the Said will so far as her goods and chattles will thereunto extend and the law charge me and that I will make a true and perfect inventory of all Such goods and chattles So help me God.
 
Page 315
Sworn to before me} William C. Purvis
This 15th day of July A.D. 1889} Stephen D. Purvis
H. D. Tiller}
Judge of Probate}
The State of South Carolina}
County of Chesterfield}
I H. D. Tiller Judge of Probate for County and Sate aforesaid do hereby certify that the last Will and Testament of Sarah Purvis deceased was this day admitted to Probate in common form on the oath of John N. Gardner one of the subscribing witnesses to Said last will and testament and that William C. Purvis and Stephen D. Purvis obtained letters Testamentary
Given under my Hand and Seal this the 15th day of July A. D. 1889 and in the one hundred and foreteenth <sic> years of American Independence.
H. D. Tiller Judge of Probate {seal}

Sarah "Sallie" Huggins and  John Purvis had  three children. Their daughter Malsey, b. about 1837 died between the 1850 and 1860 Census. John Died in 1888 and Sallie is believed have died in 1889 though I know of no source document for this date.


 
________________________
[1] Chesterfield County, South Carolina, Will Book 1, pages 313-315 Sarah Purvis; Probate Office, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
Note: My copy of the Will did not copy well on my scanner so in the interest of space I have only included one of three pages of the WILL. 








































No comments:

Post a Comment