Monday, December 8, 2014

Amanuensis Monday~Evan David Will, 1748



Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the WILL of Evan David, written in August 1748.1
In 1927, Harry Alexander Davis wrote a book entitled “The Davis family (Davies and David) in Wales and America : genealogy of Morgan David of Pennsylvania. Morgan David’s  descendants migrated from Pennsylvania to New Castle County, Delaware and eventually the Father and Grandfather of our known ancestors migrated and settled in the Welsh Neck area of South Carolina.2
Our ancestor, Thomas Davis married Nancy Rivers. He was born in the Cheraw District, South Carolina, on 22 March 1760. The DAVID surname was changed to DAVIS the generation after Evan David or the parents of Thomas Davis, David Davis and Jane Miles.3    
Evan David was the Grandfather of Thomas Davis husband of Nancy Rivers Davis. He was twice married. His first wife was Jane Rees whom he married  12 January 1711 in Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Our Davis line is through their son, David Davis. Jane Rees David died 1 December 1723 in New Castle County, Delaware.4 
Evan Davis next married Jane Morgan in 1724, It is Jane Morgan and their 4 children that is referenced in this Will. The Thomas mention in this will is not Thomas Davis born 1760. There’s another generation between Thomas and Evan David. The parents of Thomas Davis born 22 March 1760 is David Davis and Jane Miles.5   
1748 Will Evan David2

In the Name of God Amen. I Evan David Senr of Pencader Hundred in New Castle County being very sick & weak of body but of perfect & sound mind & memory (blefsed be God for the same} do make appoint & constitute this my last will & testament In manner & form following that is to say. IMPRS. I order all my just debts and funeral Expenses to be paid by my Executor hereafter named.
Item. I give & bequeath to my Eldest Son John David one hundred & fivety <sic> acres of Land adjoining of land of Reas Rees to him his heirs & Afsigns forever. As also I give & Bequeath to him Sd John two Cows & four sheep to be delivered him by my Executors.
Item, I give & bequeath to my Son Joshua David fivety acres of Land that I bought of Thomas John to be pofessed by him when he comes of age of one & twenty years & by his heirs or afsigns afterwards forever, likewise I give him one cow & six sheep to be delivered him by my Executors when he come to of age aforeSd.
Item, I give to my Daughter Margaret three Cows & six sheep to be delivered her by my Executors as above Sd.
Item. I give Bequeath & devise to my Beloved wife Jane David and son Thomas all the remainder of my lands tenements Rights titles Estate goods Chattles & effects whatsoever to be professed by them jointly during the natural life of my said Wife & then to belong unto & be professed by my Sd. son Thomas his heirs & afsigns for ever Appointing & Constituting them & none other to be Executors of this my last will & Testament, ordaining likewise & willing that if my Sd Son Thomas die without issue that all his part belong unto & be professed by my son Joshua above named & his heirs & afsigns forever, AND I do hereby revoke disanull & make void every other & former will by me made constituting this only to be my last will & Testament . In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand & seal this 21st day Augst 1748. clip_image001
Sealed signed & declared by Sd Evan Davis Sen.
Simon James} Timothy Griffeth
William Evan}


Evan David is my 6th Great Grandfather. 





________________________________
[1] New Castle County, Delaware, LDS FHL microfilm #006539: Will Book "G", page 207-208, EVAN DAVID; Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah.
[2] Harry Alexander Davis, The Davis Family (Davies and David) in Wales and America: genealogy of Morgan David of Pennsylvania (Washington, D.C.: H. A. Davis, 1927), page 9.
[3] Thomas DAVIS and W-8655, compiled military record (1779-1783), Rev. War Pension and Land-Bounty Application Files, (Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration), NARA microfilm publication M804, Roll 766.
[4] Harry Alexander Davis, The Davis Family (Davies and David) in Wales and America: genealogy of Morgan David of Pennsylvania (Washington, D.C.: H. A. Davis, 1927), page 9.
[5] Ibid.









1 comment:

  1. This explains why David is not in the Evan David 1848 Will

    ReplyDelete