Monday, September 28, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Hugh Moore Smith

Pin It
Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog. 

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.
Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Hugh Moore Smith, 2 November 1888.1


WILL of Hugh M. Smith, pg 1
Will H. M.Moore, pg 2
HUGH MOORE SMITH WILL
State of South Carolina}
County of Chesterfield}
In the name of God Amen I, H. M. Smith in the Sate and county aforesaid Being of Sound Mind and Memory do make and Publish this my Last Will and Testament I give and bequeath to my Wife Mary C. Smith all of my Real and Personal Property Except one chestnut Sorrel mare colt which I give to Peter H. H. Smith my youngest Son Provided he does stay with his Mother until he is twenty one years of age and keeps Sober and Labours Industriously I request that all my books Be equally divided at my Death Between all of my children and my wife Mary C. Smith to have and to hold all of the above named Property with the Exception as above mentioned and to Make Sales and changes in Purchasing Else where If in her Judgement It seems Proper with the advise <sic> of J. F. Smith whom I appoint Executor for this my Last will and Testament and I Further more request that Peter H. M. Smith my youngest Son and Dora Louizer Smith mu youngest Daughter be sent to School Eighteen months Each and the Expenses of Same
Page 2
Be Paid out of the Property or means given or Bequeathed to her By me and If She Fails to do so then the Said J. F. Smith may sell such property as she can best do without to defray Ballance <sic> of the Expences of Said Schooling and apply It to the same I Further more request that at her Death all Be Sold and Divided Equaly Between My children and that If at any Time of her Life She Sees Fit to sell and Divide She is at Liberty to Do So after Reserving one third for her Self Dividing the Remainder Equally among all of my children.
I do nominate and appoint My Son J. F. Smith to be the Executor of This my Last will and testament in Testimony whereof I have Subscribed my names and set my Seal this the Second day of Nov in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and Eighty eight Signed Sealed Delivered in presents <sic> of}
Witness}                                                    Hugh M. Smith {LS}
Jno. T. Allen
R. L. Allen
W. T. Edgeworth

I haven’t researched Hugh Moore Smith so I only have a small amount of data to provide about him. He's in my database because of his marriage unto my Sellers line. 

 
Hugh Moore Smith was born about 1829n to Neill Smith. He was twice married; his first wife was Sarah A. Sellers. They had 1 child J. Frank Smith. Sarah died in December 1859.  
 
Hugh next married Mary Carolina Copeland in 1870-1871. He’ is listed as single in the 1870 Census and after marriage his first born, a daughter, arrived on 29 December 1871.
Hugh and Mary would have three daughters and two sons. 
 
I have no data on Mary Caroline Copeland but have heard that she married a ‘Moore” after the death of Hugh Smith. 
 
Hugh Moore Smith wrote his will on 2 November 1888 and passed away on  August. 14, 1889 according to his tombstone. Hugh is buried in the Smith Family Cemetery, Ruby, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.
 
 
 





 
 
________________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19418-2674-62?cc=1911928 : accessed 27 September 2015), Chesterfield &gt; Probate Court, Estate records &gt; 1865-1927 &gt; Cases 0758-0829 &gt; image 1360-1361 of 1603; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.

























No comments:

Post a Comment