Monday, October 12, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Daniel Boan


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is The Chesterfield District WILL of Daniel Boan, 1884.

The following transcription of the Will of Daniel Boan was transcribed and provided by my good Friend Jo Church. Jo is the daughter of Marie Gulledge Wiggins. 

THE WILL OF DANIEL BOANChesterfield County Will Book # 1, pp 364-366
In the name of God Amen. I, Daniel Boan of the County of Chesterfield and State of South Carolina, do make and publish this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following, that is to say
First, It is my will and desire that all of my lawful debts and funeral expenses be paid.
Second, I give bequeath and devise to my wife Susan, and my children Mary Lillie and Sallie Rose (and any other child that may hereafter be born unto me) all of my Real Estate and personal property of all kinds, including money, bonds, etc.
Third, it is my will and desire that all of the property mentioned in the second paragraph shall remain together and not be divided until the death of my Said wife and at her death it is my will and desire that it be equally divided between said children Mary Lillie and Sallie Rose (and any other child or children that may hereafter be born unto me) share and share alike.
Fourth, I give to my daughter Emaline J. Hancock, the wife of R. F. Hancock Ten dollars.
Fifth, I give to my son-in-law Moses Coker the rifle gun he now has in his possession. I have already given my daughter Betsy Ann Coker, wife of Moses Coker all I am giving her.
Sixth, I nominate, Constitute and appoint my wife Susan Boan and my friend Calvin B. McNair Executrix and Executor of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking other wills by me made.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this nineteenth day of August A. D., 1884.                                                        his
                                                                  Daniel (X) Boan
                                                                           mark

Signed, Sealed and published and declared by the said Daniel Boan as and for hi s last will and testament in our presents who at his request and in his presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as
witnesses.
W. J. Hanna
H. D. Tiller,
E. F. Mulloy


State of South Carolina
County of Chesterfield By A. D. Tiller, Judge of Probate
Personally appeared before me, W. J. Hanna one of the Subscribing witnesses to the foregoing instrument of writing who made oath on the Holy Evangelist of Almighty God that he saw Daniel Boan Sign Seal publish pronounce and declare the Same to be his last will and Testament that he was then of Sound and disposing mind memory and understanding to the best of deponents knowledge and belief and deponent together with A. D. Tiller and E. F. Mulloy


Signed their names thereto as witnesses at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other.                                                          W. J. HANNA
 

Given under my hand this 3rd day of July in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and ninety-three.
                                               A. D. TILLER Judge of Probate


A TRIBUTE
Whereas God in his infinite wisdom has seen fit to remove from our midst by death Brother Daniel Boan who departed this life January 29, 1891 in his 77th year. While we bow in humble submission to the Despensation of His Providence, be it
Resolved 1st That in the death of brother Boan this Alliance has lost one of its most faithful members, the community an upright citizen, the Baptist Church a constant member and his family a devoted husband and affectionate father.
Resolved 2nd That we tender our heartfelt sympathy to the family of our deceased Brother, and pray that He who tempers the wind to the shorn lamb may aid and comfort them in their affliction.
Resolved 3rd That these resolutions be spread upon the minutes and a copy be sent to the bereaved family. Also a copy be sent to The Chesterfield Advertiser with the request that they be published.
                                               John Hunt, Secretary of Flint Hill Alliance # 31


Daniel Boan passed away on 21 January 1891 leaving his second wife Susannah Virginia ‘Sue” Horne and 5 surviving children. His four daughters were named within the Will. Not named in his will was a son born after the Will was written – William Daniel Joel Boan.

Mary Lillie and Sallie Rose are children of Daniel and Susannah; Emaline and Betsy are daughters of his fist marriage to Sarah Gulledge.








 
___________________________
[1] Daniel Boan Will provided Compliments of Jo Church and can be found at: Chesterfield County, South Carolina; Will Book # 1, pages 364-366, Daniel BOAN; Probate Office, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina.

2 comments:

  1. Charlie, I wonder what would have happened if he had died without a will. Would his belongings automatically have gone to his wife or would they have passed to a male relative & she left homeless?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colleen,
    I don't know but I will find an answer.

    C harlie

    ReplyDelete