Monday, November 23, 2015

Amanuensis Monday~David Coble Will, 1841


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

 
Today’s subject is the Stanly County Will of David Coble, November 1841

David Coble Will, page 4 and 5David Coble, page 6







The Will of David Coble

In the name of God, Amen.--I, David Coble this 27th day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and forty-one, being of sound mind and memory, beloved by God, make and publish this my last will and testament in manner following
Viz-First, I give and bequeath unto my beloved wife, Martha Coble five of my negroes viz Charles and his wife Pol and her child Mary and Patience and John during her lifetime or Widowhood.

2nd. I give and bequeath  unto my beloved wife Martha Coble two feather beds and furniture and one stead and one dark bay Mare by the name of Snip and one no horned pale brown milch cow and two hogs such as she chooses and the first choice of my sheep and ten geese, all the above willed property to remain hers during her natural lifetime or widowhood and at her decease or marriage the above named negroes and other property what is left to be valued and divided equally among my children i. e. Jacob Coble, John Coble, David Coble, Grete Efird and Ephraim Coble, my Grandson and Mary Huneycutt, to be hers during her natural lifetime and her decease to be divided among her bodily heirs that is younger than Catherine Efird, her daughter.
I also will that the balance of my negroes, Gil, Chloe, Eleanor, Lewis, Joe, Ellick, Allen, Riley & Edmund be valued and for the legatees to draw for them, i.e. Jacob Coble, John Coble, David Coble, and Ephraim Coble, my grandson and Grete Efird and Mary Huneycutt and for them that draws for greater value to pay over to them that draw one of lesser value until all be made equal as to negroes.---
I give and bequeath unto my grandson, Ephraim Coble, the tract of land I now live on to have and enjoy full rights and title to my said land and premises whereon I now live, consisting of three hundred and seven [307] acres land with all an everyone of the improvements there unto belonging, to himself, his heirs and assigns forever.
I give and bequeath unto my Granddaughter, Iphama Cagle, fifty dollars in money.-- I also will that my beloved son Jacob Coble, shall have, hold and possess all the property of every kind which he holds and claims in my possession or on my premises. -- I also will that all my personal property that I have not disposed of other ways, of every description shall be sold according to the laws of North Carolina relating to interstates Estates and equally divided among Jacob Coble, John Coble, David Coble, Greta Efird, Ephraim Coble, my Grandson and Mary Huneycutt.--- All above named property which I have willed my daughter, Mary Huneycutt, is to remain hers during her natural lifetime and at her decease, I will that it be divided equally among her bodily heirs that is younger than Catherine Efird --- and I hereby make and ordain my beloved son Jacob Coble, and Alexander McLester, Executors of this my last will and testament----In testimony whereof I the said David Coble Sr. have to this my last Will & Testament set my hand and affixed my seal the day and year first above written.

Signed, sealed & published}                               David Coble {seal}

in the presence of}
Benjamin Mauldin}

Henry Kimmer}

North Carolina}
Stanly County}  February Session 1842
Then the foregoing last Will and testament of David Coble deceased was brought into open court and proven by the oath of Benjamin Mauldin and Henry Kimmer the subscribing witnefses thereto. The said Will and Testament was admitted to probate and ordered to be recorded.
                                                 D. Hearne, Clk


Mary Coble, daughter of David Coble and Martha Horn,  was the second wife of Levi K. Huneycutt.  












___________________________________
[1] "North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-194-396391-1-28?cc=1867501 : accessed 21 November 2015), Stanly > Wills, 1841-1865, Vol. 1 > image 4 of 160; county courthouses, North Carolina. Will Book 1, pages 4, 5 and 6; Stanly County, NC; Probate Office.

1 comment: