Thursday, December 31, 2015

Top Genealogical Events, Finds and Mysteries for 2015

The following is a small lists of significant events, finds and mysteries found during my genealogical research endeavors this past year.

1. Probate Record of Marcus ‘Mark’ I. Huneycutt naming his three granddaughters; children of his daughter Louvena and John Calvin Deese.
 








Pearly (misspelled) listed first is my Grandmother.  Her two sisters are Etta (Etter) and Theresa (Erser).


"North Carolina Estate Files, 1663-1979," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-35569-26321-38?cc=1911121 : accessed 11 November 2015), Stanly County > H > Huneycutt, Mark I (1902) > image 1 of 24; State Archives, Raleigh.



2. Will of Martin Duerr/Dry naming his son-in-law, Mark Huneycutt, husband of his daughter, Catroul [Charity] Dry.

Cabarrus County, North Carolina, Pleas & Quarter Sessions Minutes; C.016.30003; Vol. 2, p. 405; Will of Martin Dry (PQS 2/405).

http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2015/12/amanuensis-mondaythe-last-will-and.html

3. DNA results that proves that my maternal 3rd Great Grandmother is related to the “Boan/Boan” of Chesterfield, South Carolina.



http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2015/11/dna-and-other-evidence-suggests.html














4. Family Visit and Genealogy Research Trip to Utah – 4 August –14 August 2015.


Here I am on 12 August 2015, transferring Digital Files to my thumb drive using their e-ImageData Scan Pro micro film scanner. In 1976 I was transferred from Holloman AFB, NM to Hill AFB, Utah arriving in October 1976. From Oct. 1976-Apr 2000 I lived in Utah and spent many days in the LDS Family History Library. Since 1976 until today I have spent time in the Library at least part of one day of every year between 1976-2000 with two exceptions. There has been two years between 2000 and 2015 that I have not returned to Utah for a visit with my son and his family plus doing some research in the Library. 


5. Marriage Notice – William A. Pervis/Purvis to Sarah Jane Graves
This marriage notice was actually found in December 2014; but, it’s an important and irreplaceable  find that deserves a mentioned within this blog posting.


http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2014/12/serendipity-while-internet-browsing.html









Mystery:

One of my top mysteries of 2015 is the death of Tobias Huneycutt. When did he die? I wrote about it here:
http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2015/08/perplexedwhen-did-tobias-huneycutt-die.html

Brick Wall:
I have two major “Brickwalls” in my first 4 generations.
The  1st is-- Who are the parents of William A. Purvis, my 2nd Great Grandfather,  born between 1823-1827 and died between Sept 1899 and May 1900? I wrote about this “brickwall” extensively in 2012. DNA testing in 2013 and 2014 proved a connection between myself and a descendant of James F. Purvis , born in 1760, a brother of Gilbert Purvis. However, no document has been found that will tie these two lines together. Hopefully more DNA testing in this line will provide a breakthrough in this wall.  
http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-brickwall-william-purvis.html
http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-brickwall-william-purvis-part-2.html
http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2014/07/surname-saturdaypurvis-pervis.html

There are other articles if you care to do a search on my web blog. 

The 2nd “brickwall” is my Great Grandmother Laura Driggers – who are her parents.
There is so little data on Laura that I don’t know where to start. Her marriage at such a young age to my Great Grandfather was a “tragedy”. She was so young; yet he was old enough to be her father plus some. She has only been found in one document, the 1880 Census for Marlboro County. In this Census, she is listed in the Jeremiah Polston household as a granddaughter, age 10. She died having her 8th child in 1898. It is believed that Laura and Joseph John married as soon as she turned 13. Their fist child, Walter was born 2 August 1883.









No comments:

Post a Comment