Monday, January 4, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Will of Bolen Huneycutt, 1810


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is The Will of Bolen Honeycutt, 1810.1 

Bolen Huneycutt Will
WILL of BOLEN HONEYCUTT 
Tll all whom know ye that I Bolen Hoencutt of the State of North Carolina and County of Anson being weak in Body but in perfect mind and memory thanks be to God for it I do here by make this my Last will and testament as the worthy things that god has blest me with first of all I recommend my Sole to the almity God that gave it and my Body to be buryed in a Deason manner at the Descresion of my friends as Conserning my Land I leav to be Equal Devided between my three Sons Silus Honeycut John honeycut and Joel Honeycut Silus honeycut to have his part of the Land at the faar end John honeycut his part at the upper end and and  Joel his part threw the middle them ares to be lawfully present with with the sd Land at the Deseas of Sarah honeycut my wife and as for the house hold furniture Cattel hogs and horses and all stocks I the sd Bolen honeycut Do leave to  my wife Sarah to Bestoe as she seese Cause and I the sd Blen Honeycut do acnolidg this to be my Last will and testament as witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal This 2nd day of June in the year of our Lord one thousand Eight hundred and tin.   
                                                   Bolen X (his mark) honeycutt {seal}
Test
Stephen hasty
Joshua Sikes


STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA
ANSON COUNTY                              JANUARY SESSION 1811
                Then this will was exhibited and duly provd. In open court by the oath of Stephen Hasty one of the Witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded.
                                                                Tod Robinson, Clk


Named within this Will is Bolen’s wife, Sarah and three sons, Silus, John and Joel. The Will was written on 2 June 1810. Various dates have been documented as his birth year but the only document that shows his age is the 1810 census where he is listed as 45+; so what can accurately be said about his birth is that he was born before 1765.  

His absence from the 1810 census and the writing of his Will in June 1810 suggests a possibility of his demise shortly after completing the Will.



Be forewarned this is not an original Will. Many of the Wills in Anson County were copied by WPA workers back in the 1930's. The original Will is in the NC State Archives.



_________________________________
[1] "North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19388-30450-10?cc=1867501 : accessed 27 December 2015), Anson > Wills, 1802-1812, Vol. 2 > image 65 of 136; county courthouses, North Carolina. (Will Book#2 p65)

No comments:

Post a Comment