Saturday, March 19, 2016

It’s Family Time~My 5th Great Grandfather, Hardy Sellers, Sr.


It's Family Time
Hardy Sellers, Sr. was born 2 March 1757 in Johnston County, North Carolina. His parents are unknown even though many have searched for them.1
 
Hardy served in the Revolutionary War but never received a pension due to a lack of documentation.  It is from his Revolutionary War records that we know his exact birthday.


SELLERS, HARDY………….R9377b. 2 March 1757,Johnson County, NC. He enlisted while residing in Chesterfield District, during 1776 or 1777 under Capt. McMainer. In 1782, he was under Capt. Griffy and Col.McIntosh. Thereafter, he was under Capt. Griffy and Gen. Marion. He was also under Lt. Charles Jackson and Gen. Marion. A. A. 6865; V82.2
 
Hardy Sellers Birth Date 




Q1: Where and in what year were you born? 3Ans: In Johnson County, NC, March 2, 1757
Q2: Have you any record of your age and if so, where is it?
Ans: No written record by my parents has told me I was born March 2, 1757
Q3: Where were you living when called into service and where have you lived ever since the Revolutionary War and where do you now live?
Ans: I lived in South Carolina, Chesterfield District near the North Carolina line and has continued to live there ever since.


Hardy Sellers, Sr. was twice married. With his first wife he would have 7 children, 4 sons and 3 daughters; by his second wife he would become the father of two additional children, a son and a daughter. 

His first wife, unknown for many years, was Mary Cook, daughter of Abram Cook and his wife Phoebe (Feebe)  Mastin/Maston. Hardy and Mary were married about 1771 most likely in Chesterfield District, South Carolina. This date is based on the birth of John Sellers on 19 June 1772 believed to be their first born child.
 
Hardy Sellers and Mary Cook had the following children:
i. John Sellers, born 19 Jun 1772, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Henrietta Norwood, abt 1803; died 22 Jan 1844, Carroll County, Tennessee.
ii. Philip Sellers Sr., born 1774, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Mary , bef 1790; died abt 1834, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina.
iii. Abraham Sellers, born abt 1782, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Sarah Norwood; died aft 1870.
iv. Phoebe Sellers, born abt 1787, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Jeremiah Gulledge, aft 1820; died bef 1838, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina.
v. Mary R. Sellers, born abt 1789, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Thomas Gaddy, abt 1813; married William M. Berkley, abt 1859; died 12 Oct 1879.
vi. Richard Sellers, born 1792, Chesterfield County, South Carolina; married Rebecca , 1814; died Sep 1860, Tishomingo County, Mississippi.
vii. Jane Sellers, born abt 1795, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Iverson H. Briley; died bef Aug 1834.
Hardy Sellers and Levinia Gulledge were married about 1827. Marriage date is based on the birth of their first born, Hardy Huntly Sellers, on 11 June 1829. See Item 8, Hardy Sellers Will
 
Hardy Sellers and Levinia Gulledge had the following children:
 
i. Hardy Huntley Sellers, born 11 Jun 1829, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Mary Eliza Sinclair, 20 Jan 1849, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; died 12 Jan 1857, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina.
ii. Zilpha Ann Sellers, born 9 Dec 1830, Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina; married Dixon P. Gordan, 25 Jun 1845, Anson County, North Carolina; married William Jeptha Gaddy, abt 1855; died 2 Mar 1913, Ruby, Chesterfield, South Carolina.

Item 8, Hardy Sellers Will 4
8. It is my will that my executors sell my two tracts of land one on Cruises ? Branch and one on Black Creek and such other of my property as are not disposed of such as stock, crops, household and kitchen furniture and c to the amount of the legacies given and to be sold at their discretion in all legacies debts and expenses being provided for by my executors then the balance of my estate not disposed of I give and dispose of in the following manner. It is my will that the tract of land on which I live be divided in the following manner, that is to say, be equally divided between my beloved wife Lavina my son Hardy Huntley Sellers and my daughter Zilpha Ann Sellers, my wife to have that part whereon the dwelling house and other out-houses now stands and one-third of the balance of my estate not given away I loan to my wife Lavina during her natural lifetime or widowhood except the land before mentioned to be for her use and benefit until my son Hardy H. do arrive to the age of twenty years (should she remain my widow so long) at which time my son is to take possession of the said land and at the marriage or death of my said wife the whole of my estate not before given to my first set of children and grandchildren to be equally divided between my son Hardy H. and daughter Zilpha A. Sellers, my son as before stated to have that part whereon the dwellings now stands. And I do hereby nominate constitute and appoint my father-in-law Elder Joel Gulledge and my friends John Evans and Turner Bryan executors of this my last will and testament in witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 14th day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and thirty-four and
in the 59th year of American Independence.
Signed Sealed Published }
and declared in the presence }
of the testator and in the presence } Hardy Sellers Sr.(LS) of us who have subscribed }
our names as witnesses hereto }
Neill Smith
William (his mark) Hancock
Andrew J. Hancock
(Recorded in Book #8 pages 28, 29, 30; January 26th 1835)
(then qualified John Evans Executor to this Will, T. Bryan, Ordy).

Hardy died on 12 Jan 1835 at the age of 77 in Chesterfield, Chesterfield, South Carolina.5-6

DEATHS: At his residence, near Chesterfield Court House (S.C.) on or about the 12th inst. HARDY SELLERS, Sen. a native of Chesterfield District.___
[Charleston Courier, Friday, January 30, 1835, Charleston, South Carolina Paper]

DIED: At his residence, near Chesterfield Court House (S.C.) on or about the 12th inst. HARDY SELLERS, Sen. a Native of Chesterfield district.
[Southern Patriot, Wednesday, January 28, 1835, Charleston, South Carolina]
Hardy Sellers Death 


















_____________________________________
[1] Southern Campaigns of the America Revolution (http://www.southerncampaign.org/ : viewed and downloaded 22 April 2012), Pension application R9377, Hardy Sellers.https://www.fold3.com/image/1/16197011
[2] Roster of South Carolina Patriots in the American Revolution. Volume II, K-Z; By Bobby Gilmer Moss, page 854
[3] Ancestry, "Revolutionary War Pension" database, Military Service Records (http://www.fold3.com/ : accessed 3 June 2014), entry for HARDY SELLERS, Private; http://www.fold3.com/image/1/16197032/; America.
[4] James C. Pigg, Cheraw/Chesterfield District Wills, 1750-1865 &: Abstracts from the Court of Common Pleas 1823-1869 (Tega Cay, South Carolina: self-Published, 1995), pages 107 & 108.
[5] HARDY SELLERS obituary, The Southern Patriot, Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, 28 January 1835, page 2, Column 5.
[6] HARDY SELLERS obituary, The Charleston Courier, Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina, 30 January 1835, Page 2, Column 3.













5 comments:

  1. Looks like we are related..
    Lynn Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to my blog, Cousin Lynn. I don't seem to have you in my database. Could you send me an e-mail: CPurvis1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my great grandfather's. On down the line. Francis Marion Frank Sellers was his dad and Sally Ayers his mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a Francis Marion Frank Sellers married to a Sally Ayers.

      Delete
  4. My granddaddy is Lonnie Sellers. His parents was Francis Frank and Sally Ayers. Hardy is like my 4 or 5th ggf

    ReplyDelete