Monday, May 2, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Samuel S. Sellers Will


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.
 

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.


Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament of Samuel S. Sellers. 1

I started this journey by looking at Probate Folder #650 which was thought to be the Probate Folder for Mary Eliza Sinclair Sellers. I wrote about her yesterday.

http://carolinafamilyroots.blogspot.com/2016/05/chesterfield-county-sc-estatesestate.html
 
While browsing through the folder I found within it the Will for Samuel S. Sellers which is presented here today. His wife was also a Mary E. Sellers. The Will has now created another problem – Just who is Samuel S. Sellers. Other than this Will, I can find no other mention of a Samuel S. Sellers. There are several Samuel Sellers but not another document has been found that mentioned Samuel S. Sellers other than the Will in Probate Folder #650. 

I’m going to make a very bold statement until I am proven Wrong – I believed this Will is for a nan known as Samuel Joseph Sellers who married Mary Elizabeth Hurst. The Will was written on 22 February 1886. I have Samuel Sellers death recorded as July 1887.

Conversely, only one form filled out for a Civil war marker shows Samuel Sellers middle name as Joseph. Samuel Sellers did have a son borne in 1861 that was named Samuel Joseph Sellers.

1880 CENSUS: Court House, Chesterfield, South Carolina; National Archives Film T9-1225; Family History Film: 1255225; Enumeration District: 005; Page: 320B(stamped); Line 39, Dwelling 184, Family 184; Saml SELLARS, male, age 43, farmer, born in SC; Elizabeth SELLARS, Wife, age 40, born in SC; Margaret SELLARS, Daughter, age 22, born in SC; John M. SELLARS, Son, age 21, born in SC; Saml J. SELLARS, Son, age 19, born in SC; William A. SELLARS, Son, age 15, born in SC; Luke H. SELLARS, Son, age 13, born in SC; Thomas F. SELLARS, Son, age 11, born in SC; Minnie E. SELLARS, Daughter, age 9, born in SC; Georgia E. SELLARS, Daughter, age 8, born in SC; Albany F. SELLARS, Daughter, age 6, born in SC; Jerusha A. SELLARS, Daughter, age 4, born in SC; Helen SELLARS, Daughter, age 10M, born in SC. 2


. Samuel S. Sellers, Pg 1Samuel S. Sellers, Pg 2
State of South Carolina}
County of Chesterfield}
In the name of God Amen I Samuel S. Sellers of the County and state aforesaid being of Sound mind and memory do make publish and declare this as and for my last will and testament in manner and form following
That is to Say
1st It is my will and desire that my Funeral expenses and just debts all be paid.
2nd I give bequeath and devise unto my beloved wife Mary E. Sellers all my property both real and personal money Bonds and Mortgages and choses in action of whatsoever kind I may be die seized and possesses of to have and to hold during the term of her natural life in lien of Dower after the death of my wife Mary E. Sellers It is my will and desire that my property be equally divided equally <sic> among my children Share and Share alike the child or children of any deceased child taking the Share to which their parents would have been entitled to if living
I hereby nominate constitute and appoint my wife Mary E. Sellers, Executrix of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made
In testimony whereof I have hereunto Set my hand and affixed my Seal this 22nd day of February A.D. 1886
Signed Sealed and}
Declared by Samuel} Samuel S. Sellers {Seal}
S. Sellers as and for}
His last will and}
Testament in the}
Presence of us who}
In his presence and }
In the presence of each}
Other and at his request}
Have subscribed}
Our names as witnesses}
To the Same.}
W. J. Hanna
C. B. Craig
E. N. Redfearn










 
______________________________
[1] "South Carolina Probate Records, Files and Loose Papers, 1732-1964," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1-19383-12994-28?cc=1911928 : accessed 30 April 2016), Chesterfield > Probate Court, Estate records > 1865-1927 > Cases 0638-0757 > image 214 & 215 of 1623; county courthouses, South Carolina, and South Carolina Department of Archives and History, Columbia.
[2] 1880 U S Census, Chesterfield, Chesterfield County, South Carolina, population schedule, House, Chesterfield, South Carolina, enumeration district (ED) 005, Page: 320B(stamped); Line 39, Dwelling 184, Family 184, Household of Saml SELLARS; digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : viewed 9 October 2013); citing National Archives Microfilm T9-1225.



























2 comments:

  1. The name game can be so confusing and frustrating sometimes. I have one guy who went by Calloway during his growing up years, B.C. as a young adult and then after his father died he went by Burton, which was his father's name. It took me awhile to figure out that Calloway, B.C. and Burton were all one and the same person.

    ReplyDelete