Monday, August 15, 2016

Amanuensis Monday~Last Will and Testament of Charles Albert Dry


Amanuensis Monday is a genealogy blogging theme. It was started by John Newmark who writes the TransylvanianDutch blog.

His definition of Amanuensis is:
Amanuensis: A person employed to write what another dictates or to copy what has been written by another.

Today’s subject is the Last Will and Testament Charles Albert Dry, 1903. 1


C. A. Dry Will page 474-475
Transcription:

In the name of God Amen: I C. A. Dry of Big Lick Township, Big Lick Post Office, the County of Stanly, and State of North Carolina, being of sound mind and memory, blessed be God for the same. I do make and publish this my last will and testament.
            I give and bequeath to my son Rufus my home place bounded as follows: Beginning at a stake in place of a post oak on the bank of Cucumber Creek and runs the old line N. 75 E. 22.50 chains to a large pine; thence N. 21 E. 17. 10 chains to a stake by a hickory, a corner of the 100 acre tract; thence with a line of said tract S. 86 ½ E. 5 chains to a stake, Maggie Brook’s corner; thence with her line N ½ W. 15.25 chains to a stake by two sour woods, D. E. Dry’s corner; thence with his line reversed???? due West 11.15 chains to a stake in a shop branch by an oak; thence up the various courses of said branch by 2 ashes and a mulberry; thence with R. C. Dry’s line S. 82 W. 3.75 chains to a stake in the public road by
(Inserted: N. 29 W 1.37 ½ chains to a stake in said road)
2 small red oaks; thence with said road by a post oak; thence N. 36 W 6 Chs. to a stake in east side of said road by a dead white oak; thence E. 82 ½ W. 6.60 Chs. to a stake in the edge of a road by a post oak; thence S. 42 E. 8.90 Chs., to a post oak by a post oak; thence  S. 6   2.5 Chs to a stake in place of a red oak by a white oak and fallen pine; thence S. 48 ½ W. 10.15 Chs. To a stake by a bunch of maples; thence with T. Huneycutt’s line  S. 20 E. 25.50 Chs. to a stake; thence S. 18 W. 13.75 Chs. to the beginning, containing 128 acres by survey. Should I die before my wife she must have her maintenance out of same so long as she shall live.
I give and bequeath to my son Rufus all my personal property household and kitchen furniture, farming tools and tools of mechanics, my doctor bill and burying expenses coming out of same, provided I do not have enough money on hand at my death to pay same.
I do nominate and appoint my son Rufus to be the sole executor of my last will; and testament. In testimony whereof I do hereunto set my hand and seal, and publish and deem this to be my last will and testament. In presence of the witnesses named below.
This 31 day of December A. D. 1903.
                                                            C.A. Dry {seal}

Signed, sealed, declared and published by said C. A. Dry as and for his last will and testament in presence of us, who, at his request and in his presence, and in presence of each other, have subscribed our names as witnesses hereto.
                                    D. M.Stalling, residing at Big Lick, N.C.
                                    C. J. Black, residing at Big Lick, N.C.






Charles Albert Dry, born 23 April 1836 was the son of Charles Andrew Dry and Leah Tucker. 

Charles Albert married Lydia Adeline Brooks on 30 December 1860 in Stanly County, North Carolina. 

Charles Albert and Lydia Adeline had a family of 11 children ten of which were still living when he passed away. Yet, only one child, Rufus, was mentioned in his Will. Charles Albert Dry, age 70, passed away on 15 July 1906 and was buried in the Philadelphia Baptist Church Cemetery.

Charles Albert Dry is my 2nd Cousin 4 times removed.






_________________________
[1] "North Carolina Probate Records, 1735-1970," images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1941-20079-20225-84?cc=1867501 : 21 May 2014), Stanly > Wills, 1868-1907, Vol. 2 > image 294 of 359; county courthouses, North Carolina.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment