Saturday, August 19, 2017

IT’s Family Time~ The Second Family of William A. Purvis

Its-Family-Time2
This past Monday I received the results of a DNA Test that I have waited some time for the results. The results validated my research and  confirmed what I have known for some time.

DNA_Results

But, there's always a “but, while there is clear evidence of a second family the evidence does not provide a clear concise answer on parentage and relationships of the adults and children.
My 2nd Great Grandfather was married  in 1852 and has one child a son born in 1863. DNA results shows that our Purvis line is related to the James F. Purvis, Sr. line.  My test results shows that I share DNA with 4 distinct individuals from this line. 

My 2nd Great Grandmother, Sarah Jane Graves Purvis died from cancer on 31 December 1893. A Anson County Land Deed (DB 33, Pg 370) shows William A. Purvis and his wife Elizabeth Purvis selling land that William A.  Purvis and Sarah Jane Graves had originally purchased.

But, Elizabeth “Betsy” Previtt Purvis is already a Purvis in the 1880 Census and she and her young daughter Mary Jane are enumerated in the household of William A. Purvis and Sarah Jane Graves Purvis.

I don’t believe that William A. Purvis has two wives simultaneously so who was the “missing” husband of Betsy Previtt Purvis?

I take this land Deed at face value and say, even though I have no marriage document has found; I beleive that William did marry Elizabeth “Betsy” Previtt Purvis. I think he married her to care for her and her two children or she married to care for William A. Purvis.

William A. Purvis and his second wife, Elizabeth “Betsy” Previtt Purvis had two children:
  1. Mary Jane Purvis, b.  abt 1873 in Anson County; died about 1895.
  2. Ella Frances Purvis, b. 25 Sept 1881; d. 27 Nov 1971.
  • Note: William may not be the father of these two children. 
William A. Purvis died between 23 Dec. 1899 and 30 June 1900. Elizabeth “Betsy” Purvis died 18 Oct 1926.

I believed that Elizabeth’s 1st husband was a Purvis and closely related to William A. Purvis. I also believed that after Sarah Jane death in 1893 that William and Betsy married to care for each other and the two children.









No comments:

Post a Comment